Jeff
Beginner Learning Spanish

Ola!

Would anyone have any recommendations for learning Spanish? I would like to get to the point where I am comfortable speaking and listening to some simple phrases so I could find a language exhange partner. I have been reading "Spanish for Dummies" (I have read about 1/3 of the book), but I find it tough to retain all of the words that I learn, and often go back and read the sections over again.

I am sure there are many of you that have experience starting out in learning Spanish, so I would like to hear what worked for you!

Gracias!

Nov 30, 2015 3:32 PM
Comments · 8

Hi Ezzat, I have watched a number of her videos before and have found them very helpful! I need help with retaining the words I learn. Once I get to a certain level, I believe that practising speaking the language with others will help with this as well!

November 30, 2015

Thank you for the advice :) I just had a look at Duolingo, and it looks like it will be a great way to start learning and practising words, and also setting daily goals. I have tried Anki, but I did not find it as simple as I would like, so I will be sure to try out Memrise. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it.

I will also be interested in taking some classes here, and working with others on their english, as well as my spanish, but I would like to focus on the basics first so I can get the most out it!

November 30, 2015

The Practice Makes Perfect workbooks are available at many bookstores and are quite cheap and useful. I especially recommend the ones done by Dorothy Richmond - Beginning Spanish, Spanish Verb Tenses, and Prepositions and Pronouns in that order.

For vocabulary, I like to use Memrise as a flash card type app. I prefer it to Anki, which is also popular, because it works very well within my smart phone. Conjuguemos.com has some great conjugation exercises that are very useful and Duolingo is very popular these days as well. All of these are free by the way.

And, of course, you should definitely invest some money in taking some classes with the professors here. As you are beginning, I would strongly recommend that you stick with the professional teachers instead of the tutors until you are a bit further along in your learning.

November 30, 2015

I think that as a beginner student it would be better for you to work with a qualified teacher. 

November 30, 2015

yes Jeff for sure you're right practicing española will be more helpful with some youtube vídeos like this

November 30, 2015
Show more