Saulo
Learning Languages with Anki app

Hi there! I want to know if anyone have heard something about the Anki app. Is it efficient when it comes to learning languages? I'm starting to use it. I see about 30 phrases in english every single day at the last 3 months.

ps: sorry for my broken english :P

Nov 30, 2015 11:28 PM
Comments · 6

I like the idea. Personally I didn't like the implementation that much when I last tried it two years ago, it just was not that smooth to use for me... But the system is good!

For Chinese I much prefer Pleco, easy to switch between showing characters or pinyin, with or without sound... And easy to look up any word and all the components of characters. It costs a little money though, and it's only for Chinese.

Most of these requirements (switching to pinyin, looking up components) don't exist for many languages, so I imagine Anki is much more usable for those than it was for me.

December 1, 2015

Hi,

I have been used Anki for more than 2 years, and I like it. I have more than 2000 cards. I make them self, and practice every day. It is very useful, if you want to learn words and phrases, because it helps you, not to forget them.

It's better, if you lern not just single words, but full sentences.

December 1, 2015

This App is for reviewing information you've learned elsewhere, and it's fine for that. However, Apps are terrible as a primary source for learning languages.

December 1, 2015

I don't like Anki. It relies a lot on the user to self assess whether they know what's on the flash card or not. I prefer apps and programs that actively test the user and incorporate spaced repetition.

December 1, 2015

How do you feel about it after 3 months? I have heard good things and am starting to use it now for Chinese. It seems like a good learning tool to me, but tools are only helpful if we use them correctly.

December 1, 2015
Show more