Manar
Learning by English Movies

hi everyone , I know it's a popoular way used to improve listening and gain new vocabulary.By using subtitles in English. I want to know what I have to do exactly after watching it in english subtitles. I mean watch it for second time and write down new vocabulary and expressions and watching it third without subtitles as example ! 

Please If anyone is used to learn by this way what the most powerful and affective steps I can follow !  

Dec 1, 2015 10:10 PM
Comments · 11

You won't learn a lot by watching movies.  You might pick up a few words but it's an extremely inefficient use of your time if you're trying to learn.  You'd learn way more by studying your book for 1 hour than watching a movie.

Most people that encourage movie watching for language learning are trying to incorporate leisure into language learning.  But we know that real learning is not leisure.  It's hard work.  If you want to go have leisure in the language, then by all means do so, but don't try to mask this as real learning because it isn't.

December 2, 2015

Judy makes an important point - a movie is NOT a 90 minute listening practice session, nobody can concentrate that long!

Watch a couple minutes with no subtitles, then turn on English subs, then watch again with no subs and see if you understand any more. Make notes, how are the words pronounced differently to how they're written (eg. "Whaddayawannado?" = What do you want to do?). Do this a few times until you can't understand any more, THEN turn on subs in your language.

But never watch a movie for the first time with the subtitles in your language - unless you just want to enjoy the movie and relax, of course! Just don't expect it to improve your English ;-)

December 2, 2015

only study a few minutes of the movie at a time. Don't watch the whole movie and then watch it again... This method is too long.  I  find myself rewinding at least on average 20 times...sometimes 50 times.  Two minutes in a movie is really 45 minutes studying time.  

December 2, 2015

I actually prefer watching TV shows, because many of the characters are the same, the writers are the same, ect, making it more comprehensible. It takes thousands of hours to become a good listener, so it's good to watch TV/Movies as often as you can to supplement your other studies and keep your listening skills up to par. 

@Alan - You can't concentrate for 90min? Not even in your native language? I can. It sounds like you're describing watching something that's way above your level. If you can, try to stick to i+1, as described by Krashen.

December 2, 2015

In my personal experience i see movies in english with english subtitles to learn new vocabulary and pronunciation, at this time this work good to me.

December 2, 2015
Show more