Rytis
Learning Article : Learning Multiple Languages At A Time

Discuss the Article : Learning Multiple Languages At A Time

<a href='/article/609/learning-multiple-languages-at-a-time' target='_blank'>Learning Multiple Languages At A Time</a>

Language learners often find themselves wanting to study many different languages, even going so far as tackling more than one foreign language at a time. However, is it really efficient to do so? Does the language matter? Is the method of doing so important? Should one be more patient with the language learning process? Well...

Dec 2, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 5

Thanks Rytis, Very helpful. At one time I was trying to learn Spanish and French as a beginner, too similar, too confusing. I had already thought to wait until Russian is clearer in my mind before thinking about learning another language. You have confirmed that, or at least for me and the way I learn.

December 11, 2015

Mixing up languages is due to one or more of them being at a low level. It's not because they are at different levels. So some of what you wrote is incorrect, and some of your advice ineffective. 

December 2, 2015

Agree with the fellow above about mixing up languages being a problem of incomplete learning / language acquistion.  I spent give years on Korean (for travelling and survival conversation -- it's easy to learn to read and write that script) and three years on Japanese (academic focus -- to pass an exam) and now (10 years later) -- I can recall words / phrases in each language but I often have to think hard about what language the word is.  I have to remember how it's spelled (hangul??? or hiragana/katakana???) to tell them apart and that's because I was only a low intermediate speaker in each.  The things that I know well (the basics of conversation, some nouns, verbs, place names) -- these I 'know' and don't mix up.

Your point about persona / taking on the second language identity really struck home for me though because I never was able to make the necessary shift to identifying with Korean / Japanese culture enough to make self-expression feel normal and natural.  It always felt like I was 'outside' the culture and that the psychic boundary was ... pretty tough to transcend (though it was always pleasurable to study these very foreign languages, esp the kanji / hanja -- so insightful about how and where East and West perceive the world...)

December 21, 2015
I started learning 7 languages at the same time all from a beginners level except for French which was only slightly more than beginners. I was working on French, Russian, Swedish, Japanese, German, Spanish and Italian. I added Chinese recently to make it 8 languages. It was going great in the beginning and for some strange reason, I found that leaning all these at the same time was somewhat synergistic. I found that memorizing was happening without effort. The only two that were confusing, like you mentioned, were Spanish and Italian because they are so much a like. BUT.....once I got more deeply into grammar, conjugating verbs, online courses and trying to speak with people....I slowed down quite a bit. There just were not enough hours in the day especially when working on multiple musical instruments, song writing, playing in a band, trying to write stories, working on new computer programming languages and more.... :) I must be either a frustrated genius or I'm just totally nuts.... Although sometimes those two seem to be the same... :) As of today I can read and write in these languages way, way better than I can speak and understand the spoken words. The latter is harder to put a lot of time into since it requires another person for natural conversation....as opposed to an mp3 dialog or equivalent. I've been at this for an accumulated time of about 1 year.
April 1, 2017

Well, we also have to remember this is the guy who said that politics never has any place in language learning.  Completely ridiculous, so let's consider the source.

December 2, 2015