Vic
What are the major differences between Belorussian and Russian? I'm just curious to know
Jul 10, 2009 1:37 AM
Comments · 12

First of all I want to say that each language is beautiful and unique!!!
   The distinction between Russian and Belarusian languages is essential: in an alphabet, in grammar, in phonetics, in a dictionary, etc.
   In my opinion Russian and Belarusian are comparable with Italian and Spanish. Languages have an Common Slavic basis as Latin is for the European languages. However Russian and Belarusian developed absolutely separately. I think Belarusian is closer to Polish and Ukrainian than Russian. First of all languages have a lot of similar words. Then Poles, Ukrainians and Belarusians (provided that they speak Belarusian) understand each other very well while Russians understand separate words. This fact conveys a great deal. Example from my work: the Polish drivers always asked to speak Belarusian because of the best understanding.
    And some words about trasyanka)
    Trayasyanka is Russian with the Belarusian accent and inserts of Belarusian words. IT IS NOT THE BELARUSIAN LANGUAGE. Unfortunately the greater part of the population speaks trasyanka.
But I know many young people and cultural figures who speak Belarusian at home and at work. I would be glad if more foreigners began studying Belarusian. I hope you will come to our country and will see what a friendly we are))

January 16, 2015
Belarussian language is close to russian, but the major difference in pronunciation. I think that belarussian language more beautiful, more melodical. And belarussian language alike with ukrainian very much! 
June 14, 2010
Russians cannot understand Belarusians but Belarusians can understand 90% Ukrainian speech, and about 75% Polish speech. Most Belarusians also speak Russian, although (arguably) they have a version of their own called trasianka. The trasianka is generally looked down at by more educated people.

September 13, 2010
meow )

Rusiian is more beautiful than Belorussian, I believe ^__^
and it is developed better )

yes, Russian, Ukrainian and Belorussian appeared from Old Russian about 500 years ago
BrE and AmE parted not as long ago
and I think that Spanish and Italian appeared about 3000 yrs ago (not sure about it, but it was long ago)

decide yourself, which are closer
July 7, 2010
 Ukrainians will understand belarussian, but russian people will understand not all. Our language is called "trasyanka"(трасянка)-it means russian+belarussian language, thats why russian, belarussian and ukrainian alike.
June 15, 2010
Show more