Site Feedback

Learning Speech Styles.... Informal / formal

leave a post involving any questions with speech styles. There are four of them .. 1) Formal Polite (-습니다) 2) Informal Polite (-[어/아/여]요.) 3) Formal Plain (-이다) 4) Informal Plain (-어/아/여);

Share:

Comments

the verb 'to study' in korean is '공부하-" it can be conjugated to the following speech styles: 1) 공부합니다. 2) 공부하여요(공부해요) 3)공부한다. 4) 공부하여(공부해)

We don't use as 공부하여요. The correct expression is 공부해요. Also, we do not use as 공부하여. 공부해 is correct.

ah thank you,, its how i was taught..

Can anyone please explain when to use Formal Polite and informal Polite style?

I think speech style must be different according to the context of communication, speakers and listeners belongs to the context of communication. If a context is official, you would better to use formal polite style.

hmmm... i cant understand... although i tried my best to read the hangul letters, but i cant...huhu

are you having trouble reading hangul?
1. formal and polite style (-습니다/ㅂ니다)
    When you make speech in front of people (often in a public place)
    ex) 만나서 반갑습니다.  
2. formal and impolite style (-다)
   When you write an article which any people will read, or when you write diary
   ex) 한국어는 한국의 언어이다.
3. informal and polite style (-(어/아)요)
    1. When you talk to someone in person such as your teacher, neighbers, or any adults.
    3. When you talk to someone in person such as an internet user who you don't know in person.
   ex) 만나서 반가워요. 
4. informal and impolite sytle (no specific ending attached)
    1. When you talk to your close friends or family who are not older than you
    2. When you talk to children
   ex) 만나서 반가워.

Add a comment