finals (simplified Chinese: 韵母; traditional Chinese: 韻母; pinyin: yùnmǔ)
In each cell below, the first line indicates IPA, the second indicates pinyin for a standalone (no-initial) form, and the third indicates pinyin for a combination with an initial. Other than finals modified by an -r, which are omitted, the following is an exhaustive table of all possible finals.1
The only syllable-final consonants in standard Mandarin are -n and -ng, and -r, which is attached as a grammatical suffix. Chinese syllables ending with any other consonant is either from a non-Mandarin language (southern Chinese languages such as Cantonese, or minority languages of China), or it indicates the use of a non-pinyin Romanization system (where final consonants may be used to indicate tones).
|[u̯əŋ], [ʊŋ] 4
1 [ɑɻ] (而, 二, etc.) is written er. For other finals formed by the suffix -r, pinyin does not use special orthography; one simply appends -r to the final that it is added to, without regard for any sound changes that may take place along the way. For information on sound changes related to final -r, please see Standard Mandarin.
2 "ü" is written as "u" after j, q, x, or y.
3 "uo" is written as "o" after b, p, m, or f.
4 It is pronounced [ʊŋ] when it follows an initial, and pinyin reflects this difference.
Technically, i, u, ü without a following vowel are finals, not medials, and therefore take the tone marks, but they are more concisely displayed as above. In addition, ê [ɛ] (欸, 誒) and syllabic nasals m (呒, 呣), n (嗯, 唔), ng (嗯) are used as interjections.
From : wikipedia
No comment given.
- Can someone correct me these short leaflet?
- Some articles for those who study russian (in English)
- stress in English
- Hello, all the Mandarin Chinese learners!
- can anyone tell me the meaning of this song ?
- What is the biggest misconception people have about your country?
- can any body help me please
- i want the suggestion from all my italki fellow....???
- Anyone who know a project called Work and Travel?
- Si tienes la oportunidad de ir a vivir a otro pais, que estaras hacer alli?