Origin Of " Origin " Word .
- early 15c., from Fr. origine, from L. originem "rise, beginning, source," from oriri "to rise" (see orchestra).
- originate (v.)
- 1653, probably a back-formation of origination (1647), from M.Fr. origination, from L. originationem (nom. originatio), from originem (see original). In first ref. it meant "to trace the origin of;" meaning "to bring into existence" is from 1657; intrans. sense of "to come into existence" is from 1775.
- original (n.)
- "original text," late 14c., from M.L. originale (see original (adj.)). Of photographs, films, sound recordings, etc., from 1918.
- original (adj.)
- early 14c., from L. originalis, from originem (nom. origo) "beginning, source, birth," from oriri "to rise" (see orchestra). The first reference is in original sin "innate depravity of man's nature," supposed to be inherited from Adam in consequence of the Fall. Related: Originally.
- 1742, probably after Fr. originalité (see original (adj.)).
- c.1600, "area in an ancient theater," from L. orchestra, from Gk. orkhestra, semicircular space where the chorus of dancers performed, with suffix -tra denoting place + orkheisthai "to dance," intens. of erkhesthai "to go, come," from PIE *ergh- "to set in motion, stir up, raise" (cf. Skt. rghayati "trembles, rages, raves," L. oriri "to rise"), from base *er-/*or- (cf. L. origo "a beginning;" Skt. rnoti "rises, moves," arnah "welling stream;" O.Pers. rasatiy "he comes;" Gk. ornynai "to rouse, start;" Goth. rinnan, O.E. irnan "to flow, run"). In ancient Rome, it referred to the place in the theater reserved for senators and other dignitaries. Meaning "group of musicians performing at a concert, opera, etc." first recorded 1720; "part of theater in front of the stage" is from 1768.
No comment given.
- Help me with my translation result?
- The most beautiful story may hear in your life
- ENGLISH TO MANDARIN CHINESE TRANSLATION NEEDED
- "Whose" as the possessive form of "which:" "A cathode whose," "a rock whose," "a polyhedron whose"
- Hİ dear :)
- Vietnam my hometown!
- ذي قار العراق
- What do you like/unlike the most about the place where you live? What should every foreigner know about
- Bonjour à tout le monde