Origin Of " Origin " Word .
- early 15c., from Fr. origine, from L. originem "rise, beginning, source," from oriri "to rise" (see orchestra).
- originate (v.)
- 1653, probably a back-formation of origination (1647), from M.Fr. origination, from L. originationem (nom. originatio), from originem (see original). In first ref. it meant "to trace the origin of;" meaning "to bring into existence" is from 1657; intrans. sense of "to come into existence" is from 1775.
- original (n.)
- "original text," late 14c., from M.L. originale (see original (adj.)). Of photographs, films, sound recordings, etc., from 1918.
- original (adj.)
- early 14c., from L. originalis, from originem (nom. origo) "beginning, source, birth," from oriri "to rise" (see orchestra). The first reference is in original sin "innate depravity of man's nature," supposed to be inherited from Adam in consequence of the Fall. Related: Originally.
- 1742, probably after Fr. originalité (see original (adj.)).
- c.1600, "area in an ancient theater," from L. orchestra, from Gk. orkhestra, semicircular space where the chorus of dancers performed, with suffix -tra denoting place + orkheisthai "to dance," intens. of erkhesthai "to go, come," from PIE *ergh- "to set in motion, stir up, raise" (cf. Skt. rghayati "trembles, rages, raves," L. oriri "to rise"), from base *er-/*or- (cf. L. origo "a beginning;" Skt. rnoti "rises, moves," arnah "welling stream;" O.Pers. rasatiy "he comes;" Gk. ornynai "to rouse, start;" Goth. rinnan, O.E. irnan "to flow, run"). In ancient Rome, it referred to the place in the theater reserved for senators and other dignitaries. Meaning "group of musicians performing at a concert, opera, etc." first recorded 1720; "part of theater in front of the stage" is from 1768.
No comment given.
- The climate has changed
- Relaciones Argentinos y Chileanos.
- Language goals
- Hey; Help me with chinese language
- It is common in Chinese culture to express an abstract idea with concrete things.
- Tenses in French
- Is it offensive to discuss the movie Django Unchained with a black people?
- I need to translate these sentences ito Russian language
- Is it correct?