NAMES OF ARABIC ORIGIN IN SPAIN, PORTUGAL AND THE AMERICAS
Most of the names starting with Al-, Ar-, Cala-, Guad- and Medina are corrupted forms of Arabic names originally given to places, rivers, mountains and other natural features during the Muslim rule in Spain and Portugal. These names were later adopted in the Americas after the migration of Hispanic population to Florida, California, Mexico, Central and South Americas in 1500s and later centuries, following the voyages of Christopher Columbus to the continent. The Muslims of the Iberian peninsula are commonly known in the West as the 'Moors' and their period of activity between 711 - 1492 C.E. as the Moorish Civilization.
The table below shows names, their original Arabic names and the meaning.
|Name||Original Arabic Name||Meaning|
|Almenara||al-Manarah||The Mosque Tower, English Minaret|
|Almansil||al-Manzil||The Stopping Place|
|Guadalquivir||Wadi al-Kabir||Great River|
|Guadalajara||Wadi al-Hijarah||Stony River|
|Taifa||Ta'ifah||Party or Faction|
No comment given.
- How do you learn in order to be fluent when it comes to learning languages?
- Can a social-app (e.g. WhatsApp, Telegram) help learning a language?
- How to be an instantaneous speaker?
- How do you build your vocabulary?
- what do you think about duolingo?
- About happyness
- Knowledge or marks which is important in life or for a good job?
- which language should i start with
- What do u think it's pretty different between Eastern and Western culture?
- if let you suggest book for kids,如果让你推荐几本书给孩子们