NAMES OF ARABIC ORIGIN IN SPAIN, PORTUGAL AND THE AMERICAS
Most of the names starting with Al-, Ar-, Cala-, Guad- and Medina are corrupted forms of Arabic names originally given to places, rivers, mountains and other natural features during the Muslim rule in Spain and Portugal. These names were later adopted in the Americas after the migration of Hispanic population to Florida, California, Mexico, Central and South Americas in 1500s and later centuries, following the voyages of Christopher Columbus to the continent. The Muslims of the Iberian peninsula are commonly known in the West as the 'Moors' and their period of activity between 711 - 1492 C.E. as the Moorish Civilization.
The table below shows names, their original Arabic names and the meaning.
|Name||Original Arabic Name||Meaning|
|Almenara||al-Manarah||The Mosque Tower, English Minaret|
|Almansil||al-Manzil||The Stopping Place|
|Guadalquivir||Wadi al-Kabir||Great River|
|Guadalajara||Wadi al-Hijarah||Stony River|
|Taifa||Ta'ifah||Party or Faction|
No comment given.
- Practicing English? Trial Sessions Available
- Learning chinese
- Learning Article : How Using Prepositions Changes Verb Meanings in Portuguese
- الحمد لله = praise be due to Allah
- Creen ustedes que una lengua extranjera se pueda aprender usando la lengua nativa?
- help me, is this article written correctly ?
- hi, how can we use the site to talk on line? please help
- Do you speak English?
- Le français
- Holidays in Madrid