NAMES OF ARABIC ORIGIN IN SPAIN, PORTUGAL AND THE AMERICAS
Most of the names starting with Al-, Ar-, Cala-, Guad- and Medina are corrupted forms of Arabic names originally given to places, rivers, mountains and other natural features during the Muslim rule in Spain and Portugal. These names were later adopted in the Americas after the migration of Hispanic population to Florida, California, Mexico, Central and South Americas in 1500s and later centuries, following the voyages of Christopher Columbus to the continent. The Muslims of the Iberian peninsula are commonly known in the West as the 'Moors' and their period of activity between 711 - 1492 C.E. as the Moorish Civilization.
The table below shows names, their original Arabic names and the meaning.
|Name||Original Arabic Name||Meaning|
|Almenara||al-Manarah||The Mosque Tower, English Minaret|
|Almansil||al-Manzil||The Stopping Place|
|Guadalquivir||Wadi al-Kabir||Great River|
|Guadalajara||Wadi al-Hijarah||Stony River|
|Taifa||Ta'ifah||Party or Faction|
No comment given.
- Describe yourself with three words.
- What do you think about people that correct all discussions or entries on italki ?
- One week learning the letters in Arabic
- Emad Ahmad
- About Movies...
- Any one has been a volunteer before?
- hello, I'm paolo from italy, searching for someone to improve my english and to teach italian
- Both Old Books and New Textbooks in China
- Which one is more important for you? And why?