NAMES OF ARABIC ORIGIN IN SPAIN, PORTUGAL AND THE AMERICAS
Most of the names starting with Al-, Ar-, Cala-, Guad- and Medina are corrupted forms of Arabic names originally given to places, rivers, mountains and other natural features during the Muslim rule in Spain and Portugal. These names were later adopted in the Americas after the migration of Hispanic population to Florida, California, Mexico, Central and South Americas in 1500s and later centuries, following the voyages of Christopher Columbus to the continent. The Muslims of the Iberian peninsula are commonly known in the West as the 'Moors' and their period of activity between 711 - 1492 C.E. as the Moorish Civilization.
The table below shows names, their original Arabic names and the meaning.
|Name||Original Arabic Name||Meaning|
|Almenara||al-Manarah||The Mosque Tower, English Minaret|
|Almansil||al-Manzil||The Stopping Place|
|Guadalquivir||Wadi al-Kabir||Great River|
|Guadalajara||Wadi al-Hijarah||Stony River|
|Taifa||Ta'ifah||Party or Faction|
No comment given.
- Hello to everyone.
- La Musica modernas
- Does the order we write letters (such as A and B) matter?
- What TV shows/ Movies would you recommend for an English learner?
- Looking for language partners ★Interested in making more friends
- What do you want to accomplish and what have you done so far to achieve it?
- 真么用中文说 "to visit a website"?
- Sports in China
- Keep on or give up