Site Feedback

How to learn english faster?

Hi everyone!! I wanna improve my english skills, and i feel myself so lost, what can i do?
please, give me your opinion!!
thanks

Share:

Comments

Part 1 of my answer:

(1)  I could not stress enough that it is a VERY bad idea to learn colloquial expressions.  This is extremely difficult for someone who is young to accept.  But trust me, every colloquial expression defines your class, the part of the country (or even city) where you grew up, where you went to school, who your friends were, your age, what activities you have engaged in (including some bad ones!) and many, many other things about you. 

When native speakers use these expressions, they are really trying to communicate something about their backgrounds.  Unless you are a native speaker, best to not use an expression you read or see in a movie.  You will probably be saying something about yourself, which you really do not want to say!!

Part 2 of my answer:

(2)  Ask questions of native speakers every time you are not certain you understand something.  Especially in estados unidos!  One out of every three people I speak to during any given day are not native speakers.  So we are quite used to answering questions, and even consider it flattering.  

This applies especially to (1).  Whenever a native speaker hears a
colloquial expression they do not know (and this happens about once a week -- because they change so often), we always ask what it means!!!  I cannot stress enough, how very true this is!

(3)  Vocabulary is not too important.  It is said 400 words and you can get by easily visiting as a tourist.  And I know by know you know many more than just 400 words!

Part 3 of my answer:

(4)  The most difficult part of learning the language is learning when to use "a" and when to use "the."  Since you have these two words in Spanish, I have difficulty understanding why Spanish speakers also have so much difficulty?  It is usually not very important if you use them incorrectly, but it is the easiest way a native speaker can tell you are not a native speaker. 

(5)  I would concentrate most on learning how to use the verb tenses.  There are some very similar ways in which both English and Spanish use verb tenses.   But they most definitely are not the same!  So whenever you hear a different tense used than what you would have used, ask a native speaker why they choose to say it the way they did, and not the way you would have said it.

This allows you to "think" like a native speaker, instead of learning a million silly rules!

Part 4 (the last part) of my answer:

(6) And aabsolutely forget about learning to spell words correctly!!  Everyone I know uses dictionaries and "computer spell checkers" if they want to make sure words are spelled correctly!  No one, and I do mean no person who speaks English, can ever know how to correctly pronounce a new word, unless they hear someone else pronounce it correctly.

Fortunately, now with computers, we have pronouncing dictionaries. 

Hope the above helps.  If not, please let me know!!  Ask questions!!! 

I'll do my very best to answer them.

Teresa

Add a comment