Site Feedback

Do not confuse журнал = magazine with магазин = shop

some words have different meaning in english and russian .

Share:

Comments

I think that this case is the only one I know. It's difficult to remember some more examples of such coincidence. Usually we buy magazines in the newsstands (ларек) and bookstores (книжный магазин).

dear nika , i try to mention some points of possible errors for English speakers who learning Russian .  my aim is to resolve probable conficts .  Thanks a lot .

Maybe you can use магазин журналов (lit. shop of magazines).

Dera freinds with English Tongue , i provide some sesion of the ambiguity of phrases between Russian and English languages .I dedicate these discusions under title of " Do not confuse " , so read and recite them to avoid further insufficiency in your fluency capabilities . Truly yours  -  Farhad

Do not confuse стоять = to stand  vs  лежать = to lay---------------------------------------------------------The verb стоять denotes vertical position , whereas the verb лежать denotes horizontal position . Both verbs correspond tothe English construction " there is / are .  For example : там стоят книги.(there are books there.)     vs     cправа лежит книга.(there is a book on the right.)

Do not confuse семья(family)  vs  фамилия(surname) .

Do not confuse   цветок ( pl.  цветы ) " flower "      vs    цвет ( pl. цвета ) " colour "  .

It is very interesting. But магазин is not Russian word. This word came to Russia from German language (in time of Peter 1) Smile

Truly... The journey of word 'magazine is so: Arabic = مَخْزَن  (store) --->Spanish = magacen ----> French = magasin ---> German = magazin ---> Russian = магазин

Магазин - это не только помещение для торговли, как например: книжный магазин, продуктовый магазин, галантерейный магазин, универсальный магазин (универмаг = универ+маг), но это может быть  магазином (емкость для патронов) автомата Калашникова  Wink

Add a comment