The Red Square means “red” or “beautiful”?
Don't forget about "мука" and "брак"! Also funny words.
I also was confused by the word "банка", when security at the airport in Russia asked me, what's in the "banka" in my bag, which they saw on the baggage scanner. I just realised that they can't be talking about a bank, but I didn't know the word. So the woman from the security let me unpack the glass from my bag, took it and said "Ну вот, эта банка"
About "red/beautiful square":
I have learned that it once was the "beautiful square". But the word "красный" changed its meaning to "red". But it has the same origin as the word "красивый"
The name of the square stayed the same.
So now it's the "Red Square", and many people think, that it got its name in sowjet times, and is dedicated to the colour of the revolution.
A similar "change of meaning" you have right beside Red Square in Китай Город. Today it means translated "China/Chinese Town". But "Китай" orginally refers either to the old word (non russian) "katay" which is similar to the russian "замок" or to "kit" which would name wooden planks, and would also refer to the wooden fortress-walls around the settlement beside the Kreml.
ahhah)) funny story about банка!!!)))
yeah there are a lot of interesting words that can be misunderstood. I'll try to find out more)
Got another one:
Корица (cinnamon) < -- > курица (chicken)
here another two:
конь - a horse
кон - a part of game
сад - зад
ahhhaha))) it'll be sad to make this mistake)))
крутой парень — cool guy
крутой склон — steep slope
оросительный канал — irrigation canal
телевизионный канал — TV channel
ручка двери — door handle
ручка для письма — pen
- Useful idiom: to ring something up/ battere (sul registratore di cassa)
- Learning to type in Korean
- I search people to speak English with me
- Primer dia en italki. cuanto tiempo llevan en italki?, que tanto han aprendido? les ha funcionado este metodo?
- What do you think about Ukrainian women and our culture?
- JAPANese and JAVAnese
- terrorism and ways to erradicate
- i want to ask this question to all my italkii fellows ........?????/
- Question for tutors with a range of prices
- start conversion