Site Feedback

Why You Don’t Need To Learn Russian Grammar?

And What Is The Most Effective Method To Learn Russian Language?

Within last three months I actively communicated with people from the different countries – active Russian learners. I was interested what methods do they use, what helps them more, what is the most difficult, what can motivate and demotivate them.

What has appeared the most difficult was Russian grammar. In this article I will discuss the importance of the grammar in Russian language studying, and what to do if it’s hard for you to learn it.

Let me begin with the fact that Russian is an obligatory subject in Russian schools. We learn Russian grammar during at least 10 years. BUT! Only very small amount of Russian native speakers really know Russian grammar. In informal conversation the grammar plays a supporting role, and we usually do a lot of errors. We also do many errors when we write to each other. The fact is – nobody notices these errors. So if you think like a perfectionist – “I should learn Russian grammar to speak correctly and avoid mistakes” – you’re going to do useless work, nobody actually cares about grammar mistakes here in Russia.

You can read the whole article here: http://www.learnrussianlanguage.ru/learn-russian-grammar

To start learn Russian you can with RLLC Reading Lessons For Beginners, ask for FREE Sample now HERE

With All My Faith And Love,

Oleg Vinzhegin

Share:

Comments

If one wants to sell anything, one would better learn not to tell obvious lies.

I can't agree with Clair more and thus would like to debate the Oleg's view, because I believe that what I have just read in his article is not just a useless, but a really harmful piece of advice, I truly do.

It is true that some native speakers of Russian make mistakes quite often, but they tend to be either low-class and poorly educated, or from the ethnic outskirts. If you want to sound as low-class as possible, don't study the grammar.

The overwhelming majority of educated speakers of Russian, including myself, do notice those mistakes and get annoyed by them. It works like an unconscious litmus test that it is not worth to speak to him or her. If it is the impression you want to give, don't study the Russian grammar.

And don't fall into complacency that as a non-native speaker you have a bonus, you do not. In some languages, e.g. Polish, if you are able to produce a few phrases, the native speakers are already happy. But Russian is a world language, so Russians show very little tolerance even to the grammatical mistakes of foreigners. A few times on the Russian-speaking forums I witnessed that if a foreigner posts some information, instead of thanking the guy some folk starts to make fun of his grammar. It could be intimidating for some learners of Russian, but it's just the practical reality. If you learn Russian not to deal with the real world, but only with some fantasies of yours, don't study the Russian grammar.

Russian has truly a lot of grammar in it, sorry guys. And the fact that in Russian schools people study the Russian grammar for 10 years only underlines the importance of studying grammar for students of Russian as a foreign language. To be able to use the language properly, they definitely shouldn't neglect the grammar. If to use the language properly is not your goal, don't study the grammar.

I have a feeling Oleg is a salesman and has been paid for rolling out somebody's products and services at any cost (moral of course).

Oleg, your suggestions are wrong, dangerous, inaccurate and irresponcible.

Please stop doing harm to people.

"The overwhelming majority of educated speakers of Russian, including myself, do notice those mistakes and get annoyed by them. It works like an unconscious litmus test that it is not worth to speak to him or her."

Exactly.

"Russians show very little tolerance even to the grammatical mistakes of foreigners."

I disagree. Russians are mostly tolerant to foreigners' mistakes. At least, those Russians whom I usually talk to. 

Alex:

"I have a feeling Oleg is a salesman and has been paid for rolling out somebody's products and services at any cost (moral of course).

Oleg, your suggestions are wrong, dangerous, inaccurate and irresponcible.

Please stop doing harm to people."

Alex, my friend, if you have a reasonable explanation of your topic of view, you're welcome to debate. If you want to abuse me, it doesn't make you better in the eyes of community.

My misson is to help more people to learn Russian easier and in a more comfortable way. I use my own experience with learning second languages. I base my approach on the researches of the world’s top experts: Dr. Stephen Krashen, Dr. James Asher, Dr. J. Marvin Brown, Dr. Ashley Hastings, Dr. Brenda Murphy, David Long and Blaine Ray.

So I have the right to show my point of view to everyone, my friend ;)

Oleg, all those names are well-known in the field, but none of the gentlemen has ever written that you don't need to study grammar of your target language.

Having said that, I acknowledge that they indeed have something to say about the role study of grammar should play in foreign language learning. But those ideas are very controversial in the field to put it mildly.

If want to promote the ideas of those linguists, it is fine, but in this case you should read their books first, because the method you are suggesting doesn't comply with their thoughts on the role of grammar.

heh)) I don't speak about reaserches, books of which I haven't read ;)

if you read an article better (not only healine) I suggest NOT CONCENTRATE ON GRAMMAR, but not to learn it at all. Read again, please. And the method I suggest allows the learner to: "1) you learn grammar naturally, without necessity to memorize rules and learn exceptions"

I believe this approach is the most comfortable and effective and this fact is proven by thousands of successful learners worldwide :)

Add a comment