Lesson 6 - Time in Russian
Time in Russian
There are many different ways to talk about time in Russian. Let’s study the simplest and most universal ones for now.
· Утро (utro) – morning (5 am to noon is considered morning)
· День (dyen') – day (noon to 5 pm, but you would not be mistaken, using the word den’ (day) while talking about usual business hours)
· Вечер (vyechyer) – evening (usually time from 5 pm to 12 am is considered evening)
· Ночь (noch') – night (12 am to about 5 am is considered night)
· Полдень (poldyen') - noon
· Полночь (polnoch') – midnight
What time is it please?:
Скажите пожалуйста, который час? - Skazhite pozhalusta kotoryj chas?
Like most of Europe, Russia uses the 24-hour system for all kinds of official messages: train schedules, TV programs, working hours, and so on. So, instead of 3 p.m., you can sometime hear pyatnadtsdat’ chasov (15 o'clock).
In casual conversation, most people just use the 12-hour clock. To indicate a.m. say nochi or utra (literally: in the morning) and p.m. would be dnya (literally: in the day), vechera (in the evening) or nochi (at night).
Use the following terms to express the time between the hours:
Минута (minuta), Минут (minut), Час (chas) - (hour), Часов (chasov) - (hours).
Russians say "o'clock" when expressing time, just as in the United States.
The word “Час” or “Часов” can be ommited.
Follow these simple rules:
When the total number of hours or minutes ends with the following digits use these rules:
· 1 – час, минута
· 2, 3, 4 – часа, минуты
· 5-20, 30, 40, 50 – часов, минут
Now try to say this:
No comment given.
- Do you use the word 'message' as a verb?
- Which song of Taylor Swift do you like or is popular in America?
- What is the weirdest or strangest thing you've ever eaten? Did it taste good or bad?
- Why America is the greatest country in the world ????!!!
- Which language is easier to learn? French or Spanish or German
- Improving my English skills
- How can we make our speaking faster with less problems?
- Hey,I want to learn English and Malay,can we be partners?
- Life with adventure, with adrenalin or harmonic life ?