Site Feedback

Discussion #1 (B): Follow-up to Writing English

Now that we have all become familiar with the first discussion, let's move on to actively working with sentences and practicing our Standard English through corrections. We'll be working with 4 sentences: the first two, I will correct and provide explanations; the last two, however, I will leave to the group to correct and explain. By doing this, we work on our writing skills, gain confidence, and, most importantly, strengthen our understanding of the how's and why's of American English. And, let's not forget about this tested and proven fact:

By being strong writers, we become strong speakers!

SENTENCE ONE:

The boy who is standing by the girls want to go home early.

There is one error in this sentence: want. "Want" is singular, as is the subject "boy". Therefore, the sentence should have a "3rd Person -S" ending to have subject-verb agreement. After correcting, the sentence would transform to

The boy who is standing by the girls wants to go home early.

Remember: "The boy" is the subject, and "who is standing by the girls" is an adjective clause which describes the boy; since the adjective clause is NOT the subject, the verb has to agree with "the boy" - which is singular, not plural.

SENTENCE ONE:

Tina had took her book outside.

There is one error in this sentence: had took. The verb is being used as a past perfect, but, the construction is incomplete. When using the perfect system, the formula is verb+en, with "-en" being the past participle. After adding this minor correction to the already correct auxiliary, the new sentence would be formed as

Tina had taken her book outside.

SENTENCE THREE:

She did go with you today?

There is only one error in this sentence. What is it? Try to explain how to fix it and why.

SENTENCE FOUR:

Tonight we go to dinner and a movie then we can go to a club.

There are five errors in the above sentence. Although it would be great if you found them all, what's more important is that you find the top three corrections. Punctuation is part of this equation, so pay special attention to missing marks. What are the errors and why? And, please explain your corrections.

I look forward to your answers. It doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong! What's important is that everyone tries their best to improve their understanding of the English language. Good luck!

Thanks for reading and contributing to The English Exchange!

~Bre

Share:

Comments

SENTENCE THREE:

She did go with you today?

There is one error in this sentence: She did . It's not interrogative phrase. Interrogative sentences always start with what, when, why, who, did, does, etc.

Did she go with you today?

SENTENCE FOUR:

Tonight we won't go to dinner and watch a movie so then can we go to a club?

I'm not sure if I was right, this one is quite tricky

I agree with Eames Cobb about the third sentence. 

I will only add one clarification. I remember 2 kind of word order in Interrogative sentences. These are ASI (auxiliary, subject, infinitive) and QUASI (question word, auxiliary, subject, infinitive).

Since the sentence hasn't interrogative word, we have to use the word order ASI.

I guess fourth sentence is a plan. If I'm right, then this sentence may be this:

Tonight we are going to have dinner and go to a movie then we'll be able to go to a club. 

The first  part of this sentence contains the construction "are going to". This is typical construction for plans or predictions.

The second part of this sentence contains the construction "will be able". This is future form of verb "can".

Fourth sentence is quite difficult for me so I'm not sure in my conclusions.

Add a comment