Site Feedback

Discussion #1 (B): FEEDBACK

I want to thank derbyT, Jorge, and Aemes for replying to this post. I very much appreciate your correction attempts. Like I said, it never hurts to try and is better to try than to never try at all. :D Now for the answers...

SENTENCE THREE:

She did go with you today?

As you have already answered, this is an interrogative and so it must start with a "question word" or auxiliary. Since there are no "question words" present (ie, what, who, and so on), we must use the auxiliary "did". To rewrite this correctly, the interrogatiive would become

Did she go with you today?

Now here's another question, using this exact same sentence!

What is the difference in meaning between:

1) She did go with you today.

2) She went with you today.

SENTENCE FOUR

Tonight we go to dinner and a movie then we can go to a club.

If you recall, I had said that there werefive (5) errors in this sentence. Let's start off our explanation with figuring out which tense the sentence is in. Because the first word is "tonight", we can deduce that the author is speaking in present time about something that will happen a little later. Thus, the sentence should be in the future tense. Also, since I hinted at punctuation, a comma is needed after the word "tonight"; since "tonight" is a moveable adverb and is not a necessary addition to the given information, it needs to be separated with a comma. Moving on, using the future tense, "will" needs to be added between the words "we" and "go"; the periphrastic "are going to" can also be used. With these small changes, the sentence begins to reform:

Tonight, we will go to dinner and a movie then we can go to a club.

- OR -

Tonight, we are going to dinner and a movie then we can go to a club.

Moving forward, we need to think once more about punctuation. Since the sentence doesn't have a conjunction and goes directly into the word "then", we have to conclude that the sentence is comprised of two independent thoughts. The only way to combine two independent thoughts without the use of a conjunction is by using punctuation: a period, comma, or semi-colon. In this specific case, the punctuation that works best is the semi-color (;). This is because the second thought (of going to a club) is related to the first thought (that of dinner and a movie); in fact, you can't rightly discuss the second thought without first establishing the first thought because of the chronological order (ie, eating and entertainment and, only then, a club). Furthermore, one last punctuation must be added in order to make the sentence grammatically correct. The word "then" naturally transforms the second thought into an dependent clause. So, how do we help the second thought retain it's independency? Punctuation, of course! We just need to add a comma. So, now, our sentence is shaping up to

Tonight, we will go to dinner and a movie;then, we can go to a club.

- OR -

Tonight, we are going to dinner and a movie; then, we can go to a club.

The only thing left to do is change the last auxiliary and verb to the future tense, so that we don't have mixed tenses in the same sentence. The first thought is in the future tense, so the second thought - which takes place after the first - should reflect the future tense, as well. This can simply be done by changing "can go" to "will go" (or it's periphrastic equivalent "are going to"). Our sentence, complete with corrections, ends up as

Tonight, we will go to dinner and a movie;then,we will go to a club.

- OR -

Tonight, we are going to dinner and a movie; then,we are going to a club.

Again, THANK YOU for trying to correct these sentences! I'm very happy with your attempts and fully appreciate all the work you put into thinking about Standard American English grammar. And remember:

Strong writing skills = Strong speaking skills

Don't forget to answer the question of meaning difference from SENTENCE 3!

~ Bre

Share:

Comments

I guess the first sentence (She did go with you today) is wrong. Because we can use such construction for negative sentences (without changing words order). In this case correct sentence should be next: She didn't go with you today.

Second sentence is written in past simple. I think second sentence is right.

If my assumptions are correct, then we can't compare meaning of these sentences.

Actually, both of the new sample sentences are correct, in grammar and in word order (syntax). The only difference between the two is the meaning that they represent. Knowing this, what is the meaning of each sentence?

I know this may be a little difficult, but I'm tryinig to challenge you guys to look at English in a different way. THANK YOU for always trying! Your participation not only means alot to me as a teacher, but it will also strengthen your English skills - and that's our goal. Laughing

Сool puzzle!

I found in the Internet one discussion about "do+infinitive". I didn't understand it completely, but maybe "did go" this is not repeating event (which happend once), and "went" is the repeating event (we can't know exactly how many times "She went with you").

"Did go" isn't quite a "do+infinitive" construction; the infinitive is "to+verb", which would be "to go" (ie, did to go). More rightfully, "did go" is an "auxiliary+nonfinite verb". Meaning: "did" is the auxiliary that tells the tense of the verb; "go" is the base form of the verb that tells us the 'action'.

So... here are the answers!

1) She did go with you today. By using the auxiliary "did", the author is emphasizing a statement of past truth; thus stressing a further importance of the verb.

2) She went with you today. This is merely stating a past fact that is over and done. That's it; nothing more!

Auxiliaries can be a very powerful thing! Any questions?

Can you give more examples of "auxiliary+nonfinite verb". In which situation it would be better to use a such construction?

Sure! Below are some examples:

1) The girl wasn't sure if she knew the answer, so she kept silent. It wasn't until later that she realized that she did know it afterall.

2) Beyond popular belief, I did become a champion at the age of eleven.

3) The man worked hard to put himself through college. Although it was extremely difficult for him, he did manage to graduate. And you know what? He's now the leading scholar in his field.

Hope these examples help in your understanding of this construction!! Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

I think this may be clear already, but just in case...

The above structure of "did+finite" can be in the present, not just the past. So, an example would be:

1) I didn't think we needed a pencil for today, but we do need one.

2) I'm sorry, but, did you say that you do want it?

Hope you're learning more about the auxiliary "did"! :D

Add a comment