Punjabi Pakistani Muslim Culture Question
I would be very grateful if anyone could answer my question. Is the word 'jaan' just used between lovers or can it be used to close family members as well. E.g; a married female to a single male cousin?
'Jaan' general mean 'life' and it use in different ways in different contexts.
In Pakistani punjabi culture 'Jaan' used between lovers. (Meri jaan kesi ho?) Its like saying 'My Baby'.
informally used between male friends (Meri jaan ke totay) to show close relationsip or for tauning an enemy in funny way.
And there is no way that a married female can use 'Jaan' for cousin. She can only use for husband, dughter and son.
Jaan is also used for these relations when addressing them with respect.
Brother: bhai jaan
Father: Abba (abbu) jaan
Mother: Amman (ammi) jaan
Grandmother: nani jaan (mother's mother), dadi jaan (father's mother)
Grandfather: Nana jaan (mother's father), dada jaan (father's father)
Uncle: chacha jaan, taya jaan (father's elder brother).
Aunt: chachi jaan
Seems like it was worth waiting so long for the responses to come giraffe90 :D
- What are the most extreme temperatures you have ever known ?
- What is the right way to use Russian verbs correctly?
- Cuáles son los artistas que te gusta ? Y Porqué
- Lets play a game
- prise de contact
- Year-Long Language Programs (Arabic/French)
- How can I use italki points?
- Okay guys. What is this all about?
- 怎么学英语。How to learn English.
- What is your favorite day of the week? Why?