Maria
Etymology class.

Hello!
I am Maria.I am a teacher of Greek philology and I want to start a new group here.

Everyone can write each time one Greek word whose wants to know the etymology.I will reply giving the etymology of each word.That means referring the words it derived from and their meaning.

I will start with the same word "ετυμολογία" = etymology.
"Ετυμολογία" is made from "έτυμο" which means the real and "λόγος" which means "speech or words" meaning the real word,the meanings of the separate words the whole meaning of a word derived from.These parts create the real meaning of a word.

Tell me a word which lastly came in to your mind or a word you were thinking of last days wondering what is its meaning in Greek!I will try to help you as much as I can!

Nov 25, 2012 8:27 AM
Comments · 8

Συγχωρείτε comes from συγχωρώ, συν+χωρώ,συν= together and χωρώ=take in and it means to forgive someone for something.When I forgive I give space for someone to accept him.Συγχωρείτε means you forgive.Related word is συγχώρεση=forgiveness.

December 10, 2013

Παρασκευή is from παρασκευάζω means I prepare something (Παρασκευή prepares for Saturday).

Αστυνόμος comes from άστυ=city and νόμος=law,the person who keeps city's law.

Συγγνώμη comes from συν+γνώμη,συν=together and γνώμη=opinion and means sorry.

December 10, 2013

Εβδομάδα comes from έβδομος=seventh (in turn) and the the ending -άδα to describe a unit of the same thing.Εβδομάδα is a "packet" of seven days to say.Related word is εβδομαδιαίος=weekly.

Λεπτό means minute ex. Πέρασαν 60 λεπτά = 60 minutes have passed.But it also means cents ex. Έχω 50 λεπτάπάνωμουτώρα=I have 50 cents now.

Δευτερόλεπτο means seconds from δεύτερος=second and λεπτό.

December 10, 2013

Hello Rowena!

Yes,I can help you with these words.

There is no χαίρω today there is χαίρομαι which means I'm glad, for example "I'm glad to meet you".Χαίρω is an ancient word with the same meaning with χαίρομαι.We only use it in the phrase Χαίρω πολύ when we meet somebody for the first time, which means I'm glad.

Related words is χαρά means joy.Συγχαρητήρια which you write afterwards comes from συν (together)+χαρά+τήρια(ending) which means congratulations.

Χωριάτικη means something which is related to the village=χωριό,feminine gender.Χωριό+τικός make χωριάτικος,feminine χωριάτικη for example "χωριάτικη σάλατα"=country salad.

Χιλιοστό means one mm and it comes from χίλια=thousand.

Ημερολόγιο comes from ημέρα=day and the word λόγος from the verb λέγω which means I say something and λογος here is speaking about something and in this case speaking about days.The calendar in Greek tells you which day we have today.

December 10, 2013

And a few more:

εκδιδω
επεξεργαζομαι
εκτυπωνω
αναφορα
ερευνα
πωλησεις
υποστηριζω
μεταφραστης
αποφασιζω
συζητηση