Site Feedback

Exercises to improve your speaking skills

I found it hard to give a lecture in front of people earlier. But I managed to reduce the fear by doing some exercises.

Of course, to get rid of feeling nervous you need to get out of your comfort zone as much as you can get this experience. The more you do it the better you feel!

Below I will give you some exercises that will help you to improve

Share:

Comments

You face expression and gestures and eye contact with audience are important.

In order to estimate if you are good in it do the following:

Stand in front of a mirror and talk. You can talk about anything you want (yourself, what happened during a day etc). Do it for 5 minutes, then after you are comfortable do it for 10,20,30 minutes a day. 

It will make you aware of your gestures and face expressions while you talk and will improve your speaking as well:)

Nervousness during giving a speech can be caused by low self estimation. To boost your confidence you again need to get out of your comfort zone and make effords to talk to people... At first it will be difficult. But after some time you will start enjoying it.

The exercise is to talk to a new person everyday. Initiate the communication in a shop, at your workplace, in a club etc.

If you feel comfortable talking infront of the mirror - try to smile and make as much eye contact as you can.

This will help you to look positive and open for communication, especially during a job interview.

Improve your voice: try recording yourself reading some short text in English and then try to retell it. Listen to the audio. Pay attention to the following:

is it loud enough?

is the pronunciation clear? Can you understand everything?

do you use any filler words or repeat one word too often: eh, em, and, so, that etc.

do you make pauses when you retell? How long is it? It shouldnt be more than 1-3 seconds. 

If you have one of the problems mentioned above - do this everyday and pay attention to what you need to improve and you will succeed

If you need my advice on the tips above or any other questions - feel free to message me.

Add a comment