MR. SHERLOCK HOLMES, who was usually very late in the morning, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
This is from novel <SHERLOCK HOLMES>
my question is "save upon those not infrequent occasions" meaning what in the whole sentence.
In this case, "save" means "except" or "only". The only way Mr. Holmes would be up early were on those rare instances when he did not sleep at night.
The whole sentence implies that there is something suspicious about the fact he is at breakfast, simply because it is so unusual for it to happen.
thank you guys!
- About personality and languages learning
- Prohibitions of alcohol in your country ?
- Win Win Solution
- Power of English
- i want to ask question to all my friends who love to help poor people ......????
- How do you say these sentences in your native language? And could you try to say this in your target language?
- How long is medical school in your country?
- Hello friends,lets create whatsapp group))))
- I need help to improve my english
- I'm looking for English conversation partner