MR. SHERLOCK HOLMES, who was usually very late in the morning, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
This is from novel <SHERLOCK HOLMES>
my question is "save upon those not infrequent occasions" meaning what in the whole sentence.
In this case, "save" means "except" or "only". The only way Mr. Holmes would be up early were on those rare instances when he did not sleep at night.
The whole sentence implies that there is something suspicious about the fact he is at breakfast, simply because it is so unusual for it to happen.
thank you guys!
- Learning Article : 10 Word Pairs That Students Often Misuse In English
- Do you know any Brazilian band or singer?
- How do I delete my account if registered by Facebook?
- how can i start to write a passage?
- Echange espagnol pour français.
- Do you want to find a partner to practice English?
- Do you like class?
- Tox is the future
- معنى بائع بالروسي what the meaning seller in russian
- Group English Chat?