MR. SHERLOCK HOLMES, who was usually very late in the morning, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
This is from novel <SHERLOCK HOLMES>
my question is "save upon those not infrequent occasions" meaning what in the whole sentence.
In this case, "save" means "except" or "only". The only way Mr. Holmes would be up early were on those rare instances when he did not sleep at night.
The whole sentence implies that there is something suspicious about the fact he is at breakfast, simply because it is so unusual for it to happen.
thank you guys!
- Free resources for learning Russian
- Language exchange
- What do you think about this video?
- whatsapp group
- Are you happy?
- is it possible to learn French!
- Looking for someone who wanna practice English speaking
- "tails" of word combinations or phrases stuck in our mind forever
- ¿y a tí?¿Qué personas te gustan?
- Do you listen more or talk more :))