MR. SHERLOCK HOLMES, who was usually very late in the morning, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
This is from novel <SHERLOCK HOLMES>
my question is "save upon those not infrequent occasions" meaning what in the whole sentence.
In this case, "save" means "except" or "only". The only way Mr. Holmes would be up early were on those rare instances when he did not sleep at night.
The whole sentence implies that there is something suspicious about the fact he is at breakfast, simply because it is so unusual for it to happen.
thank you guys!
- HSK Exam Information // Brief Overview
- WHY IS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE SO CONFUSING?
- which is more important? Reading or Social practice?
- hello，i am chinese girl，i want to learn korean我是中国人，想学习韩语
- Is there someone who want a friend speking Chinese ? If you can speak fluent English, connect me
- Biggest mistake !There is no apostrophe in german/Deutsch!
- Helleo,there is China.if you want to learn Chinese，come～
- Buscando un amigo
- looking for en English teacher
- جمهورية مصر العربية , الاسكندرية