MR. SHERLOCK HOLMES, who was usually very late in the morning, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
This is from novel <SHERLOCK HOLMES>
my question is "save upon those not infrequent occasions" meaning what in the whole sentence.
In this case, "save" means "except" or "only". The only way Mr. Holmes would be up early were on those rare instances when he did not sleep at night.
The whole sentence implies that there is something suspicious about the fact he is at breakfast, simply because it is so unusual for it to happen.
thank you guys!
- Book recommendations for an English learner, please
- Je cherche des amis pour pratiquer le français/portugais
- One Grammar question
- Happiness,...what is for you ??
- How physicians and patients maintain long-term relationship in foreign countries?
- Sommer in Österreich
- New on chat
- what do u do when u r really sad ?
- Who can help me in my english speaking practice?
- Vocabulary 1....