Site Feedback

Why do girls ask themselves if a boy is handsome?

I suppose it's not only a Polish thing. I have overheard this kind of question so many times. Unfortunately of fortunately, only once was I "a boy to judge his looks". Honestly, I don't understand why a girl who meets/sees a boy asks her (female) friend if this boy is handsome. I and my (male) friends always have the same opinion on the matter. Maybe, it is unseemly for girls to say openly that they like a boy, so they use this question to say something like "I like him, but you know we can't say openly about that, so in this girls code I tell you that I like him". What do you think?

Share:

Comments

maybe these people do not know their own minds and are dependent on other people

Lena, what in my qiestion is unintelligible to you? I think grammar is fairly good... maybe something with vocabulary? Or, maybe, it lacks a logical flow?

i think only 14-16 year olds would do that...sounds like typical teenage behavior to me.

I agree to some extent that It's a woman's way to let her pal know that she likes him and wants to know if what she sees as attractive also appeals to other's as equally attractive. I see it as women's way of asking for approval or opinion.

Neither I undestood what did you want to say with your essay. I mean logical flow. Girls call their boyfriends handsome and what?

Mariya, try to tell me where my logical flow fails, please.  As far as grammar is concerned, now I have realized that it should be "why girls ask each other if a boy..."

Well i think, that some of us,are constantly seeking external approval.And that this approval reinforces our own conception of the thing itself.It's similar to what happens when you are a kind, sometimes you don't want to play with a  toy until somebody else is playing with it.I also believe that it might be due to an instinct that compels us to compete against each other,so we try to have "the best of the best" and by having another person acknowledging that a  certain person is good looking,we fill a little fulfilled

Is it weird that I never asked any of my friend about thsi question, I mean not every girl do that.

Maybe some do and they do it because they want to get approval from their friends as well.

I suppose it's not only a Polish thing. I have heard this kind of question so many times. For better or for worse, only once was I "a boy to judge his looks". Honestly, I don't understand why girls, when meeting or seeing a boy, ask each other if this boy is handsome. I and my (male) friends always have the same opinion on the matter. Maybe it is unseemly for girls to say openly that they like a boy, so they use this question to say something like "I like him, but you know we can't say it openly about that, so in girl code I'll tell you that I like him". What do you think?

Just so you have your piece corrected. You were right: girls ask each other is much better expressed because it's not as wordy.

For better or for worse is an English expression that, I think, fits well here.

Regarding your question, I agree with Sebastián. Adolescents are always seeking external approval especially when it comes to dating. I think, generally, both sexes act like this, especially during adolescence. You and your friends can't possibly think the exact same thing about every girl you all see!

Add a comment