Site Feedback

Consonant mutation in Russian verbs

Likely of greatest interest for those in the very early days of their learning-Russian-journey...

Spending part of my Sunday morning working on some exercises intended to familiarize me with consonant mutation in Russian verbs, and began to think a bit about how much more wide-spread this phenomenon may be than the set of verbs I'd expected to learn.

Found a link to a succinct and useful presentation of consonants that mutate when the verb is conjugated, and also the simple condition for knowing whether mutation takes place in all persons or just in the first person....

http://www.auburn.edu/~mitrege/russian/tutorials/0004.html

Not rocket science (of course), but for us beginners, nice context!  Hope it helps you too...

Share:

Comments

Yes. I can tell you that some illeterate russians often say Я ложy instead of correct Я кладу, from the word Класть - to put. I think it's the one of the worst mistakes for russians, because it sounds so redneck-ish and stupid.

illiterate

Ah, but you should hear the grammatical mistakes I make even when speaking English!  I'm certainly in no position to judge anybody :-)

It's ok, Gregg. I just wanna let you know that it is one of very very ridiculous and wide-spread grammar mistakes, it's better to remember this phrase "Я кладу" and to say it correctly already now. Altough, I haven't any doubts that you'll do that right! :)

Sir, this is a useful link, but don't forget about exceptions.

This nursery rhymes can help you:

Ко второму же спряженью
Отнесём мы без сомненья
Все глаголы, что на "-ить",
Кроме слов "стелить" и "брить".
А ещё: "смотреть", "обидеть",
"Слышать", "видеть", "ненавидеть",
"Гнать", "дышать", "держать", "терпеть"
И "зависеть" и "вертеть".

i.e. Conjugation I: Брить, стелить.

Conjugation II: Гнать, держать, терпеть, обидеть, слышать, видеть, ненавидеть, зависеть, вертеть, дышать, смотреть.

Good luck, sir!

Thanks to both Vladimir and mclo for the additional information.  Nothing with learning a language is ever as easy as it seems at first glance!  Much appreciated!

@ Vladimir, спасибо за замечание, но где вы увидели это? Я только написал, что мне не нравится когда форма глагола "класть" искажается до "ложить", просто не нравится как это звучит. Быдлом никого не называл, извините. Я только за грамотность! Просто очень много современной молодежи пишут очень неграмотно, если бы вы посидели в соцсети вконтакте - сами бы убедились в этом.

About that tables here: 

http://www.auburn.edu/~mitrege/russian/tutorials/0004.html

You definetely shouldn't believe that they are full or correct in some way. Just from the top of my head I can find the exception from those "rules":

The verb ехать: 1st conjugation (ех-ать), as the table 1 says, "х" should be replaced by "ш", but it's wrong:

я еду

ты едешь

он едет

e.t.c., so "x" is mutated to "д" 

But the existance of counter examples isn't the worst about that rule - lack of information, where to use it, is. So some verbs, that satisfy those criteria just won't change their consonants (возить-везу-везешь-везет) and I personally can't even imagine, how to structurize those cases, except of just learning them.

Thanks Serge, I appreciate the words of warning there, and also the point that it may just come down to sheer memorization...

Add a comment