Site Feedback

Present perfect continuos

Hi Guys

I have a question word:

What is the present perfect continuous? Could you make me an example please?

Bye

Share:

Comments

"I have been studying since morning" is and example of present perfect continuous.

It is like you are in the middle of the work and also mention the starting time or period of time (like four hours)

"I have been studying since morning (or for 3 hrs)" is and example of Present Perfect Continuous.

"I have been studying since morning" is and example of present perfect continuous.

It is like you are in the middle of the work and also mention the starting time or period of time (like four hours)

"I have been studying since morning (or for 3 hrs)" is and example of Present Perfect Continuous.

(Since iTalki limits characters, my answer will be in two parts. Sorry!)

Hi Gaetana!

This is a very good question. Let me break it down for you:

Present Perfect Continuous (also known as Present Perfect Progressive) is an action that has started in the past (which comes from the perfect aspect), is on-going (which comes from the continuous aspect), and has some relevant importance to bringing it up in a present conversation. The aspect of Perfect Continuous also stresses the length of the action as far as duration.

EX 1:

Girl: I studied all night last night. I'm tired.

Boy: Oh, yeah? Well, I have been studying for the last 3 days straight and am still not done.

The Boy was able to stress the real meaning of "how long" he's been studying by using the Perfect Continuous aspect. He started studying sometime in the past and has continued to study ever since (an on-going action). Because he says that he still has work to do, we don't know when his act of studying will end.

(continued from previous message)

PART TWO

EX 2:

Interviewer: Tell me about your experience.

Man: I have been designing since I was 9-years-old, which allowed me to determine my career path at an early age. Due to this, I have been working in the industry for 25 years - 10 of those years being in management.

The Man was able to tell the interviewer a past, on-going fact by using the Perfect Continuous aspect. Usually, talking about what you did when you were 9 is inappropriate for an interview; BUT, by using the Present Perfect Continuous, he was able to give the action relevancy (ie, importance) for bringing it up now. By bringing up about designing since age 9, he really gave the interviewer a sense of how long he's been doing design work - never having to mention a number; it was implied that it has been a very long time. He used the Present Perfect Continuous again to stress how long he has been in the industry, as well. All of these actions started in the past and are on-going with no end yet to be seen.

Hope this helps! :)

~Bre

Add a comment