Simón Bolívar
Farsi as Second Language

Hello! How many of you have learned Farsi as a second, third, etc. language? Meaning that you have no background in Farsi before you started learning it. Did you find it difficult? What are your experiences?

Mar 17, 2013 12:22 AM
Comments · 12

Hello from here!

From my personal experience no, it was(is) not a difficult language.

Actually what is a "difficult" language it is a matter of a much controversy

but anyways, i won't analyze it here:

For your question, i will be a bit more specific:

1) Verb conjugation is easy and regular.

some exceptions exist in present tense but

they are not that much, and are easy to detect

them after some acquaintance with the language.

2) No genders. Regular plurar forming,

especially in conversional persian.

3) No cases for adjectives and nouns.

4) Easy pronounciation, more easy than a lot

of european languages if your native tongue is

a european one. Pleasant accent, sounds like an

exotic romanic language.

Like all languages though it is difficult to master

and it has it's special challenges for non native

speakers. Especially it's literal form.

But if you want to be able to conversate for simple

matters with mastering some simple grammar rules

and the needed vocabulary you can do it just fine.

Hope it was helpful for you.

Feel free to ask. And by the way

i am still in learning process, though i

am already in a confident intermediate level

and i am able to enjoy the language watching

movies and documentaries without subtitles,

listening to news also.

March 17, 2013

I have been studying Farsi for 6 years.

The most difficult part for me, is not being able to be immersed in it. If you don't use what you learn daily, it's difficult to retain. That's true of any language though.

The language resources available for Persian are very limited. I have  15 textbooks and maybe one is good and not full of mistakes. 

This can be a challenge as well.

The other issue is understanding spoken, conversational Farsi. It is VERY different from written. Words are chopped off, condensed etc. it's quite different from what you'll learn in a classroom or from books/Internet.

The biggest disservice you can do to yourself is to use phonetic spelling instead of the persian script/alefba. It will definitely hold you back from progressing. 

February 14, 2015

I don't know enough Farsi to add anything of real significance to this thread, but I look forward to hearing more from Farsi learners.

For me the barrier is in expecting Farsi to be what Korean was for me... totally different. I had to practically rearrange the gray matter in my head in order to think in Korean and not create sentences that were merely English sentences "in disguise". 

I know Farsi is not English, but I am so glad it is more like English than Korean is.  My gray matter might not survive another total renovation.

Today I am happy because, thanks to some Iranian friends, I can finally write م and ص a little more beautifully.  Small steps.

December 5, 2014

If you want to learn Persian, you will face lots of double-worded verbs that come with special parts! The only difficul part of Persian is this kind of verbs. They have no rules! You gotta listen in conversations and stick them to your mind. )

March 17, 2013

@"I have 15 textbooks and maybe one is good and not full of mistakes."

Jenny, I am curious, which textbook is the one you like?

February 15, 2015
Show more