Site Feedback

Difference between ので and ですから

In a lot of my notebook corrections I've seen my ”ですから” being changed into "ので" They are both used to connect sentences so I'm not sure why ので is preferable. my understanding of the translations are: xですから, y = because of x, y. While ので ~ xので, y = being the case that x, y. They seem basically the same to me... am I missing something?

Share:

Comments

My teacher said that it was because "desukara" means that the consecuence was unnavoidable. Somehow when you use "desukara" you are not taking the "fault" of the consecuences...something like that...

「から」explicitly states that the sentence preceding is the reason for something while 「ので」 is merely putting two sentences together, the first with an explanatory tone. This is something I call causation where [X] happened, therefore [Y] happened. This is slightly different from 「から」 where [Y] happened explicitly because [X] happened                                                                        

My comment was cut off a bit early... I meant to link you to where you can read more about the subject/explanation. Take a look at Tae Kim's amazing Grammar Guide as to why (it is also where I got my explanation, as I feel it is accurate, short, and understandable). http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/compound  

ので and ですから

Quite interesting quesiton! .. Thanks.

I will explain a little.
The most important point is "です" in this question. When I use the both phrase, I will consider the sitaution.

If I talk about present and unstable thing ( I will go there SO if the call comes, let me know.), I will use ので. the situation can be "changeable". it means i can go outside and i can go in conference and so forth. I can do anything.

On the other hand, ですから is more complicated. I will use like this .
"This service moves like this SO we cannot change."
Why I use this is because "the service " cannot be changed.
"This is a cat SO we cannot change it as dog."
"cat" is "cat".. we cannot change.
"this service moves like this SO ,if you would like to modified it, you need to call me."
"this service" cannot change at all by the owner. so "you need to call me".

I hope this helps.

Add a comment