MalloryBlaise
Russian literature

I know there is the obvious Anna Karenina, but what are some other novel in Russian? (especially geared towards younger people).

Mar 25, 2013 10:05 AM
Comments · 34

Братья и сестры! Вы что?! Не грузите человека Достоевским и Булгаковым, а тем более Пушкиным! Я лично "Евгения Онегина" так и не смогла прочитать, там очень устаревший язык, плюс наполовину перемешан с французским.  Вы сами-то, английский учить не с Шекспира, наверное, начинали? Давайте что попроще, современное, где много диалогов. Для подростков можно «Завтра была война» Бориса Васильева. Стругацкие -поддерживаю, книги на все времена и понятные широкому кругу читателей. Опять же, язык современный.

Brothers and sisters! Are you serious!? Please don't put such weird ideas (such as Dostoevsky and Bulgakov, and especially Pushkin) into her head! I personally could not read "Eugene Onegin" because of its very outdated language, half mixed with French. You probably did not start learning English with Shakespeare, did you? Let's give her something easier, modern, with a lot of dialogues. For younger people I would reccomend "Tomorrow Was the War" by Boris Vasiliev. I agree about Strugatsky, these are books for all ages and accessible to a wide audience. Again, the language is modern.

May 5, 2013

Jotraza, are you kidding? Dontsova has nothing to do with the literature)) She writes some crap for hosewives) That would be the same if you compared "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with some sitcom!

Mallory, are you going to read our classics in Russian??

You can find a lot of long lists of russian classic books in internet, but on the top of my head are:

Федор Достоевский. «Преступление и наказание» (1866)

Михаил Булгаков. «Мастер и Маргарита» (1929-1940) - one of my favourite books! «Собачье сердце» (1925)

Островский Александр. «Гроза» (1859) - easy to read.

Иван Гончаров. «Обломов» (1869)
Иван Тургенев. «Отцы и дети» (1862)

Александр Пушкин. «Евгений Онегин» (1823–1833)

March 25, 2013

If you like SF, I would certainly recommend most of the novels by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky (Аркадий и Борис Стругацкий).

Another interesting book is, in my opinion - "Похороните меня за плинтусом" (П. Санаев).

Enjoy your reading :)

March 25, 2013

Я бы посочувствовал человеку, который начнет знакомство с русскоязычной литературой с Достоевского.

January 12, 2016

Try Chekhov - he is a master of short novels and his characters are easy to understand.

January 17, 2016
Show more