Site Feedback

I want to know how to repare interview in English?

Maybe I will have interview next month. Is there someone can help me ?

Share:

Comments

you can search the internet and download ^^

It depends on your field or industry. 

have self confidence and brush your domain subjects

STEP ONE – PREPARE
Prepare all necessary documents needed for the interview - Resume, Cover Letter, etc. You will
always want to take along extra copies of your resume, transcript, and references. Consider purchasing
a leather portfolio to hold your documents and a pen and paper to record notes, if need be.
For assistance in critiquing your resume or cover letter, come by SMU Career Services and meet
with a career counselor during Counselor-on-Duty hours, or set up an appointment.
Plan your attire - First impressions are powerful, so you will want to look professional.
Some suggestions on professional dress for an interview are:
Suits/Dresses: Conservative, in dark colors (dark blue, black, gray, or tan)
Shirts/Blouses: Simple, in soft colors
Socks: Calf-length, complimenting the suit
Stockings: Beige, tan, or natural
Shoes: Men - polished, should match suit; Women - polished, medium heels
Ties: Silk, coordinated with the suit
Handbag: Medium or small size, in a color matching the outfit
Hair: Conservative hairstyle that does not distract from professionalism
Jewelry: Men - no jewelry; Women - Simple jewelry
Anticipate interview format - Ask questions beforehand, such as: “With whom will I be meeting?”
“How long should I plan to be at your office?” Knowing the format will help you prepare for the
interview experience.

STEP TWO - RESEARCH THE ORGANIZATION AND THE POSITION
Learn as much about the company and position you are applying for before you go to the interview.
Visit the company’s web site or read company literature. Analyze the job description and try to
match your experiences, interests, and abilities to their requirements for the position. Visit the
SMU Career Services’ web site at www.smu.edu/career and investigate links related to your particular
occupational field.

STEP THREE - KNOW YOURSELF
Prepare to discuss your strengths, weaknesses, educational and work experiences, personal goals,
and values. Read the job description thoroughly, anticipating questions which focus on your qualifications,
their organization, and how the two fit together. Among questions you may be asked are:
Tell me about yourself.
What are your goals?
Why do you want to work for this company?
Why should we hire you?

STEP FOUR - MAKE A LIST OF QUESTIONS TO ASK THEM
The questions you ask (or do not ask) will reveal much about your level of interest in the company, and your
level of preparation for the interview. Ask questions which demonstrate a genuine interest in and knowledge of the
company and position. Although each situation will warrant specific inquiries, some suggested questions are:
What characteristics do you look for in a person to have success at your company?
What are a few of the problems I will be expected to solve?
What is the traditional career path for this position, and in what ways do you evaluate an employee?
If I may ask, what is your timetable for filling this current position?

STEP FIVE - FOLLOW UP
Write a brief letter of thanks for the interview. In the letter you need to reiterate your interest in the
position and briefly state why you are the best candidate. If you do not hear from anyone in a week, then
call to express your continued interest in the position.

TYPES OF INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
Behavioral Questions
The most common type of interviewing style of questioning is the behavioral interview. The questions aim
at determining how you would operate on the job. How you responded to certain past situations is of great interest
to the interviewer in assessing your potential as an employee. Examples of behavioral questions include:
Give me an example of a time when you had to juggle multiple tasks.
Tell me of a situation in which you solved a problem as a member of a group. What was your role?
Tell me about a problem you once had on the job. How did you go about resolving the problem?

Behavioral Answers
Strong answers to behavioral questions describe specific situations where your actions are the focus. Often, behavioral
questions cover specific “themes” required by the position such as: time management, teamwork, initiative,
organizational and communication skills, and so on. One strategy for answering behavior-based questions is to use
the STAR formula (Situation, Task, Action, Response). The formula ensures that you deliver a complete and concise
answer. For example:
Question: Describe a time when you were a team member and someone fell behind. Theme: Teamwork
Answer: Situation - I had been assigned to a team to build a canoe out of concrete. One of our team members
was not showing up for our lab sessions or doing his assignments.
Task - To maintain a good relationship with him, and to help him do the job, I met with him in private.
Action - I explained to him the team’s frustration and asked if there was anything I could do to help. He
told me he was failing another class, so I found someone to help him with that coursework.
Result - He not only was able to spend more time on our project, he was also grateful to me for helping
him out. We finished our project on time, and receive high scores.

Add a comment