Site Feedback

Means of transport in the USA

HI EVERYONE!

I'VE GOT THE QUESTION FOR PEOPLE LIVING IN THE USA OR KNOWING ITS REALITY. I'M GOING TO BE THERE IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND I'D LIKE TO SEE SOME CHOSEN CITIES. IN ORDER TO PLAN MY TRIP WELL I'D LIKE TO KNOW THREE THINGS.:

- HOW SPEED ARE THE AMERICAN TRAINS AND HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE TO TRAVEL FOR EXAMPLE FIVE HUNDRED KM WHICH IS AS I GUESS ABOUT ONE HUNDRED FIFTY MILES (I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE NUMBERS BUT I MEAN THE DISTANCE BETWEEN DETROIT AND CHICAGO).

- WHAT ARE THE COSTS OF TRAIN TICKETS? IS THERE ANY GOOD OFFER FOR ME IF I TRAVEL ABOUT THREE WEEKS ON LONG WAYS (I MEAN SOME TICKET THAT IS VALID FOR SEVERAL USES WITHIN SOME PERIOD OF TIME - THERE ARE SUCH IN THE EUROPE)        AND THE LAST THING:-WHAT WOULD BE THE COST OF PLANE TICKET (RETURN ALSO) FROM ONE COAST TO ANOTHER? ...SORRY FOR CAPS LOCK BUT I'M WRITING ON MY MOBILE PHONE WHAT I DON'T LIKE BECAUSE THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT :)THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR HELP

Share:

Comments

I would not recommend travelling by train in the US. 

Why? What about the costs of plain tickets?

Hello,

I hope that you enjoy your stay here in the States.

I have two very respectful suggestions:

1. Google "Amtrak.com." Amtrak is the organization that runs the passenger trains in the United States. Its website will give you all the information that you want.

2. Please be VERY careful when you visit large cities.  Find out  which sections of big cities NOT to visit. Maybe hotel employees can give you advice about the dangerous areas to avoid.  Also, do NOT use public transportation (such as buses or the subway) at night.

Hello,

I hope that you enjoy your stay here in the States.

I have two very respectful suggestions:

1. Google "Amtrak.com." Amtrak is the organization that runs the passenger trains in the United States. Its website will give you all the information that you want.

2. Please be VERY careful when you visit large cities.  Find out  which sections of big cities NOT to visit. Maybe hotel employees can give you advice about the dangerous areas to avoid.  Also, do NOT use public transportation (such as buses or the subway) at night.

Thank you James!

I already know that the trains are a little bit expensive for me as well as the planes. What do you think about Greyhound (buses) ? As for the dangers I'm aware of it as they appear in all big cities also in Europe. What exactly do you mean - robberies etc?

Hello, Wgor:

I am a homebody, so I do not have any experiences to share with you.

I have READ that:

(a) Airplanes are very  crowded, and service is not very good (unless you have the money for business class).

(b) Those buses mostly have people without much money. (I have READ that some younger people (like you) might enjoy making friends with some fellow passengers. But be careful. Some people may not be honest.)

(c) Did you check out Amtrak.com?  To the best of my knowledge, the fares are not that expensive. It would be a nice, comfortable way to see the country.

(d) Regarding dangerous cities, I have to be very careful how I explain the situation. Let's just say that some foreign visitors have come here and gone into certain sections without knowing that there are certain areas that everyone stays out of. Occasionally, we read about foreign tourists who have even been murdered. I cannot say anymore, for this is a very delicate issue here in the States.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply.  But I was not notified that you had replied.

Thank you for your help!

One more question: When buying my amtrak tickets and possibly one plane ticket I'd like to pay with cash so I think it's not possible to book my tickets on the Internet. Where and how may I purchase these tickets and is it going to be more expensive than booking on the Internet?

Thanks

I do not know the answers to your question.

I guess (repeat: guess) that if you arrive in New York City, you could go to the rail station that is served by Amtrak and pay for a ticket in cash. And I guess that you could buy a ticket at the airport.

I imagine that employees at your New York hotel would be happy to give you advice. And I guess that Amtrak and the various airlines  have downtown offices that could give you information.

I hope that you have a wonderful time here.  But please be VERY CAREFUL in big cities!

Add a comment