Site Feedback

What is the hardest part of learning English?

As an English teacher, I find that most of my students understand English grammar well, but have a hard time with pronounciations and the many expressions that Americans use on a daily basis.

In your opinion, what is the hardest part of learning English?

Share:

Comments

Hi @elena_esp,

Americans rarely use "the same" to mean agreement.

It is more common to say, "I agree" or "I agree with you". 

I agree, the expressions are really hard to master.

Maybe she means to say, "Same here" which means I agree.

I agree with you very much.How can I improve my oral English?Maybe there are other ways to improve your spoken English expect practicing.

Pretty much the only way to improve your oral english would be talking to some native english speakers.

The hardest part is to get your brain used to think in English. When you have to speak you usually don't have time to think about grammar or translate from your native language . To be able to think in English the students shouldn't study too much grammar, but rather have more listening, reading and speaking practice.

I think for me the hardest part to keep up the vocabulary and enrich it constantly. I am using English at work and I noticed that I am fluent only in vocabulary used in my day-to-day activities at work and at work there is no time and opportunity to discuss politics/culture/books/social problems and etc... 

So my vocalulary is limited. I just recently registered here and this is my first experience with such type  of communication and sometimes I have troubles expressing my thoughts and opinion.  

I need to work on it. 

@Nadya - I completely agree with you, but I think that goes for any language.

I went to the bank yesterday and I had to describe the action of "putting money in my account" as oppose to knowing the word for deposit! (It was quite funny!)

As far as I'm concerned, the more difficult part about English is the speaking practice. With speaking I mean not only pronunctiation but also cadence. It's not easy to find people in your country to practice English with them (at least for free). Phrasal verbs, collocations and idoms may be difficult to learn, but there are lots of resourcess on the Internet to practise and you can watch Tv shows or documentaries with English subtitles to learn them.

@Makarov - that is very true.

Fortunately, this website gives us the opportunity to find a language partner of the same level (with some searching of course) to share and learn.

Add a comment