Question about sentence
My friend told me "If I were a child, I would like to go to the zoo" Is this sentence right ?Why?
Your friend told you " If you were a child, you would like to go to the zoo" The sentece should be right because you used the right grammar. :)
This is the so-called subjunctive. It refers to something that is NOT true.
I guess that your friend is NOT a child, so s/he said:
If I WERE (I am NOT) a child, I WOULD like to go to the zoo."
( IMPORTANT: Some native speakers use "was." But most Americans still use the subjunctive a lot.)
If I WERE (was) the president [of course I am not the president], I WOULD change the laws.
If everybody WERE (was) a nice person [of course, not everyone is nice], this WOULD be a wonderful world.
IF she WERE (was) beautiful [the truth is: she is ugly], she WOULD have many boyfriends.
- Which is more difficult for you to think in German and Franch ？
- Which is more difficult for you to think in German and French？
- whatsapp group
- Do you believe in attraction law?if not please explain your reasons
- Telling the time in Italian
- The ED endings; asked /t/ or /id/...?
- Egypt - Caito- tenth of ramadan city
- whatsapp groups
- It becomes difficult to find people to speak English with them and have the will to help you
- British or American accent?