Question about sentence
My friend told me "If I were a child, I would like to go to the zoo" Is this sentence right ?Why?
Your friend told you " If you were a child, you would like to go to the zoo" The sentece should be right because you used the right grammar. :)
This is the so-called subjunctive. It refers to something that is NOT true.
I guess that your friend is NOT a child, so s/he said:
If I WERE (I am NOT) a child, I WOULD like to go to the zoo."
( IMPORTANT: Some native speakers use "was." But most Americans still use the subjunctive a lot.)
If I WERE (was) the president [of course I am not the president], I WOULD change the laws.
If everybody WERE (was) a nice person [of course, not everyone is nice], this WOULD be a wonderful world.
IF she WERE (was) beautiful [the truth is: she is ugly], she WOULD have many boyfriends.
- "Audiobook" exchange - new way to learn a new language
- Big city or small town?
- Die 10 besten Bücher
- German girl looking for a language exchange in Spanish or Chinese
- Helped me in my test
- Is there someone who can help with English? i can help with Russian.
- ¿estaríais dispuestas a pagar por pertenecer a una comunidad de español?
- Arkadasilar! I need tips for travelling in eastern Turkey!
- when you fall flat on you face... what do you do ? +100
- I have a question for those who learning Korean as a foreign language.