[Deleted]
Helpful Hints

I have tried a few different strategies to learn Chinese. For whatever reason, I have not been able to memorize words as well as I have been able to with other languages. (I am starting to recognize spoken words that I have learned.) Also, I struggle with reading the Chinese characters. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Apr 20, 2013 3:04 PM
Comments · 12

I think you could unbridle your imagination when you memorize chinese characters, Chinese languages is a kind of hieroglyphics. for example. chinese character "日''  it refers to sun , sun is round.  but "日'' evolves from the word" ⊙“ ( a round with a dot in the middle) from the word cut on the oracle bones, which was the "forefather" of "日'' , So when you see the sun, you could think of a round with a dot in the middle, you would also think of "日''   the the round shape turns into square and dot turns a short line. with the vivid imagination. you would memorize many chinese characters as you could.  take 人for

example.  人refers to People,  you can imagine you could see a persion from a side view when he was taking a stride,  so the shape of person who was striding resembles the shape of the word" 人” i think it would be very helpful for you to memorize the chinese words. and what';s more . it is an interesting way of learning.

April 23, 2013

It is really difficult to remember those characters, even for native Chinese. When I was in primary school, they asked us remember a few word every several days, then there was a test. You have to write the words you hear. If you make a mistake, as a punishment, you have to write the word 100 times on the paper. So if you make several mistakes, it will be terrible. When in senior high school, you have to recite some texts, and as a test, you must write the text from memory, what worse, some of the texts are written in archaic Chinese. If you make a mistake, you know what to do. Yes, copy out the text several times. That's how we, native Chinese, remember those characters. It was really a nightmare.

April 22, 2013

你首先要知道自己想要达到的目标是什么,如果你只想用中文顺畅的语言交流,那你就要多学句子、多听、多说、多练、多交流,交流的过程中不要怕说错。如果你想用中文阅读书籍,那就要记忆汉字书写,掌握每个汉字、词语、句子的书写和含义。学习和掌握一门外国语言是一件需要付出努力和辛苦的事情。即使一个母语是汉语的中国人,要想达到熟练读写中文的程度,同样也要在学校学习几年。先从字、词、句子一点点学起,如果想更进一步提高,那就要大量阅读中文书籍,培养语感,了解中国的社会和文化背景。Nothing is impossible,if you put your heart into in。

April 22, 2013

Chinese characters are originlly come from pictograms.  In China, a lot of parents use pictographs to help their kids undersdand and memorize characters.  Try search ’象形字'in international online shops, you might find them.  Hope it helps you

April 21, 2013

Dont know whether could 部首 help you or not? Maybe it is like english, pre-xxxxxxxxx,micro-xxxxx…etc.

Let me dont need to memorize some alphabet. I forget how to use it too:-C

April 21, 2013
Show more