Site Feedback

Idiom sentence

I want to be rid of my old car.

Is that sentence right, why?

Share:

Comments

I think it's "I want to get rid of my old car"(meaning "to make somebody or something go away"; I don't need this car anymore because I bought a new one). 

Thank you Makarov.

What about this sentence:

:I was glad to be rid of the car when I finally sold it.

It's right or wrong?

Hi Adnan, 

It sounds more natural to me to say "I was glad to be ride of the car once I finally sold it." 

Once = after something has happened (after you sold the car, you were glad)

when = something hasn't happened yet (maybe it will happen soon?)

I hope this is helpful!

Oops!

"I was glad to be rid of the car once I finally sold it." 

To me, "I want to be rid of my old car" is perfectly correct.   By using the verb "to be," (be rid of the old car), the emphasis is on the the absence of the car.   If you use the verb "to get" (get rid of the old car), the emphasis is on the action of disposing of something.

Examples:

I'd like to get rid of the cockroaches in my kitchen.    -  The emphasis is on doing something to get rid of the cockroaches.

I sprayed the kitchen last week, and now it feels so good to be rid of the cockroaches. -  The emphasis is not on taking any action; the emphasis now is on the absence of cockroaches.

This is a correct sentence. But you are more likely to hear "I want to get rid of my old car."

Thank you for every one to help me.

And special thanks to Mr Neil, yes tuy are right and I'm sure your note very useful and also the others.

Makarov, englishly and Elle.

u can also say,i wanna get rid of my old car.

Add a comment