Site Feedback

Speaking Russian in former USSR states

I have question that doesn't relate to neither grammar or vocabulary. I would like some insights or opinions in regards to speaking Russian in former USSR states such as Estonia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan? I have heard some people mentioned to me that since the history hasn't been that long, feelings of intense bitterness and deep resentment towards the Russians are still present. 

Any opinions are welcome but please do not offend and try to be sentitive when answering this question. Thanks! 

Share:

Comments

Hey Carmen,

i'm of russian-german origin and live here in kazakhstan. By the way this is a multikulturel country with many ethnic gruppes. There are original inhabitants who are called kazakhs and other people are russian, germans, chechens, uzbek and so on. All of us are kazakhstanis, this is the citizenship. We all live in peace here and there is no hate towards russians, cause all kazakstani peolple speak russian and this unites all of us. This is my native language too. I dont understand what do you mean by deep resentment? 

In last 5 years kazakhstan starts to become more national, more kazahk, to my regret, and perhabs in some generations russian wont be spoken here so widely anymore, which would be defenetly great lost for this country.

I like this country anyway and hopefully in the future it will develop quicker and peolple will here better.

I used to live in Ukraine. In our region, Crimea, everybody speaks Russian and Russian only. Ukranian gouvernment is trying ti implement the use of Ukranian through state institutions and media like TV and radio, but people don't like it.

Hi Carmen!

I'm a native Belarusian. We all speak Russian and most of us don't use Belarusian in everyday speech although we do understand Belarusian. In our country these languages are both official and taught at schools but Russian is traditionally dominant. Very often people even get confused if they hear someone speak good Belarusian. Our attitude to Russians is difficult to describe in one word since all peole think differently, but in general I'd say it is positive. The times of the USSR greatly unite our peoples and especially it's true with respect to the older and middle-aged generations.

I have friends from Latvia that say that if they hear Russian spoken they will never respond back, but from what I hear most of the traditionally more slavic and middle-eastern and asiatic countries are used to it and aren't hostile towards it.

Carmen, 

What a fantastic question and very interesting topic!!! I wonder the same thing all the time. Thank you everyone for your input.

~mayen

I live in Kyrgyzstan. (If you cannot visit Switzerland, visit us to see the beautiful mountains we have! :)) 

I think my country is one of the most friendly and open countries for the Russians and Russian language. 10% of the people live and work in different parts of Russia and they send a lot of money home. That money comes from Russia.

The capital of Kyrgyzstan is in the North of the country and in the valley called Chui. Russian language is the most spoken language. Even kyrgyz people speak Russian to each other.  

Russian is the one of the two official languages.

In 2010 there was an ethnic clash between two ethnic groups. A few thousand people died. I remember that ethnics Russians writing "Russians live in this house!" on their gates so that the fighting people in the street would not burn their houses. 

Of course there are crazy nationalists everywhere. Thankfully, there are not many in my country.

It seems Russian language is going to be the language - and Russia a second home - of the future generations.  

Thank you everyone for the response! I will start learning Russian at my university next year :) Hopefully all the russian speakers out there will help me out since the russian at university is 9 hours per week! 

Add a comment