Site Feedback

Speaking Russian in former USSR states

I have a question that doesn't relate to neither grammar nor vocabulary. I would like some insights or opinions in regards to speaking Russian in former USSR states such as Estonia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan? I have heard some people mentioned to me that since the history hasn't been that long, feelings of intense bitterness and deep resentment towards the Russians are still present. 

Any opinions are welcome but please do not offend and try to be sentitive when answering this question. Thanks! 

Share:

Comments

Hi, Carmen! I am from Kazakhstan and personally I do not have bitterness or any other negative feelings towards Russians or USSR. I was born in 1980 and caught a glimpse of USSR, even when it was getting to its fall. I went to a russian school, I speak Russian language fluently and I consider both Russian and Kazakh languages as my native, because I was raised in bilingual environment. 

I can not speak for all people living in KZ, but in my everyday life I do not notice any deep resentment towards Russians. Kazakhstan is multinational country and apart from Russians there are a lot of any other nationalities living here. Of course like in any other country there are racist people here as well, we do not live in Utopia. 

Я живу в России, но несколько раз выезжала в страны бывшего СССР. За границей точно такие же люди и все относились очень дружелюбно, помогали, если надо.
Безусловно, есть люди, которые злятся или обижены на Россию. Я не поверю, что таких нет. Но, это сугубо личное дело каждого. 

Hi! I'm from Ukraine. I live in the eastern part of my country, which is closer to Russia. So people here mostly speak Russian, knowing Ukrainian as well. Some of them even show little resentment towards Ukrainian language. Older people sometimes regret about the  breakup of the Soviet Union. 

There is a common thought that people from the western part of Ukraine are against Russian language being so widespread in Ukraine. But they are also known as very kind and hospitable people, so there's no intense bitterness and deep resentment towards the Russians in Ukraine.

Many former Soviet Republics still have TV programs in Russian, and many people can speak Russian. In some of these states Russian is gradually forgotten and washed out from everyday life, but in others it is still very widespread.

Add a comment