Site Feedback

"Please translate this for me", "How do I say I love Shinee" <-- I mean, really???

Okay. Probably this will sound a little bit selfish. But I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this way and I'm just putting it out there because I'm getting quite irritated.

First and foremost, respect to those who are seriously learning Korean by books or other methods actually learn from scratch, reading hangeul, subject & object particles, grammar structures and built up from there. (Fist bump)

However, I realized the rise of this "Please translate this for me" posts under questions.

I know they are "questions", and I'm sure there are people who are willing to help, but italki was never meant to be a translating service. And I think some people need to be introduced to

Google translate: http://translate.google.com <--- Copy, paste, BAM! you can have a rough translation, might not be perfect, but hey- you got the Idea.

And also, if you have a fan letter to send to your KPOP Idol (Kyaaaaaa~~!!) it is okay to send it in English or even your own language. Because when they finally pick your letter out of the millions... they "get the idea" of what it says. "I love you, I'm your biggest fan, I wish you come to my country, and I wish I can see you when I go to Korea and possibly we can get married". Trust me.. they know. And as much as I wish for the best of luck, I think they won't marry fans.

And if some of you have pen pals that's been writing to you in Korean and you can't understand any of it... Why bother? Tell them you get back to them when you actually "understand" each other. Trust me, communication will be more efficient that way.

And another thing translations for "Hello", "Thank you", "Good morning", "Happy Birthday" and even "I hope you go and die" are all just a GOOGLE SEARCH AWAY. Utilize that guys.

With all do respect (or not), there are people who are genuinely spending hours a day to study Korean, trying to understand complicated grammar structures, and have genuine questions and notebook posts that they would appreciate a native speaker to answer and help with because they don't have access to teachers.

It's getting annoying because everytime I post something, in within a couple of hours it get pushed down by 8 posts by a single person asking about every word and every particle in a sentence one at a time (exaggeration but not far from the truth). 

So please. I'm begging you. If you are truly serious about learning Korean, get a book, get a note book, sit on a desk and study like other genuine korean learners. As much as you can learn from a song lyric, trust me, it won't get you no where.

There. I've said it. Hate me, report me, call me names, I don't care (2NE1).

If you agree, fist bump. If not, (I was gonna put 'ㅗ' here but I chose not to).

내가 한국말 진짜 배우고 싶어서 이 거 써야돼.

Share:

Comments

Shinee 사 랑 해

(fist bump) Haha~

While I agree with you that Italki is not really a translation service, I must say that google translate isn't a nice substitute...

You say it's a rough, imperfect translation...that's exactly what makes it bad. Lets give a few examples here:

(All sentences have been translated using Google Translate)

Hello, my name is Richard: 안녕하세요, 내 이름은 리차드입니다

I really like cats: 정말 고양이를 좋아

I am an awesome person: 나는 멋진 사람이다

My house in on fire: 내 집에 불이

I am a giant kitten: 나는 거대한 고양이입니다

I think the main problem here is mixing 반말 with 존댓말.

I understand what you're saying, but I think I can understand why people ask questions.

That's true Richard. Google translate is definitely far from being good enough for us.
But don't you think Shinee will understand anyway? Lol. I'm just kidding.
I totally agree with you richard.

100% agree well saying 

yes that's true ^^ even that i was one of them ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

내가 샤이니를 사랑합니다

I couldn't agree more.

It also really annoys me if somebody uses italki as a dictionary or a translator.

I think it would be much better to at least try to write a sentence themselves and ask people to correct it. 

When I see a question like " what does this word mean?" and I, being only a beginner learner, recognize it, it really annoys me. 

People, make some efford if you want to learn a language!

Bless this post!!

Add a comment