Site Feedback

What makes people to give up learning a new language?

Share:

Comments

I think - difficulties, because they need to spend lots of time for learning or they don't have success which supports them. When I see what I have to learn I am shocked sometimes.

Don´t you think shyness also influences on making this decission? 

Shyness - maybe, but I think if we have the success we can be more confident.

If I can't say something right I usually can't say it ( I mean the difficult phrases)

I think that what holds many people back, is self-consciousness about sounding less sophisticated than they would like others to perceive them. When you begin with a language, you naturally struggle with vocabulary and grammar and I think many people decide that they are going to become almost fluent, before they will be ready to speak with others (rather than speak like Frankenstein's monster). I know, I fight that feeling all the time (a big part of why I'm here on Italki).

Of course, it is nearly impossible to become fluent without speaking, so a lot of people simply give up, after a few weeks, or months with books and software. Those who persevere can make great strides, but even then, there are periods where it takes a lot of discipline to keep progressing. I've studied, on and off, for more years than I care to admit. I still struggle mightily to recall words I already know, but won't come to me when I need them. That struggle is necessary, but it can be mentally exhausting, (almost physically painful sometimes) and more than a little embarassing.
I am currently in a bit of a rut, after Skype problems and a two week vacation have made it too easy to make excuses. I've got to force myself to sit down and work on another session of vocabulary and reconnect with my language partners, or it'll be another 10yrs of frustration.

Lack of willingness to learn

Because the languge is everiything mediator.

For me it is shyness. I am scared to make a mistake when writing or talking. That has caused me to study off and on.

Shyness, lack of progress, lack of resources, lack of time, lack of direction, inability to take criticism, social anxiety/fear of failure, distractions, difficulty in language-learning (except for full-on immersion, but that's impossible for most people to do), difficulty OF the language, speech pathologies, dyslexia and similar brain disorders, and occasionally just good old excuses.

Any one of those things can halt a person's progress (or prevent them from really ever starting in the first place), and many people would likely have to deal with several of them. To be able to push for fluency, you either need to drop yourself directly into the applicable country and refuse to speak your native language, or you need to (more likely) overcome all of the mental and physical hurdles. You need to be able to look right at a native speaker of the language you're learning and be willing to horribly botch something without excessive hesitation and then use their criticisms to improve yourself. Not many people can do this, which is obviously why bilingual people are rare unless they grew up with the second language.

In my personal opinions , I think incentive is the upmost factor in the entire learning period . If you stayed in foreign countries , you might learn foreign language to survive even you do not like this language . Almost everyone would improve his pronunciation and listening during the period of struggling  in foreign countries , on the contrary , if you keep staying in your mother countries and your work is not related to this foreign language ,  you do not have strong motivation to learn this language industriously and keep practice would be very arduous for you .

shyness is another critical issue you need to overcome, while if there is no one willing to talk with you , shyness is a void issue . According to my close observation , most native speakers can not tolerate long time or have huge patience to listen to the non native speaker . Most of the people are liable to show their irritation and disturbance even if they really want to help this non proficient speaker . So the best way to conquer shyness is to raise your language ability to some level , then the subject you are talking to would love to have conversation with you and happy to listen to you.

I think it is difficluty and  lost of interest and lack of time that i give up to learn thai.

Add a comment