Site Feedback

Based on your own experience, do you believe English is hard to learn?

22 Reasons Why English is Hard to Learn!

The bandage was wound around the wound.
The farm was used to produce produce.
The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
We must polish the Polish furniture.
He could lead if he would get the lead out.
The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
I did not object to the object.
The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
They were too close to the door to close it.
The buck does funny things when does are present.
A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
After a number of injections my jaw got number.
Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
The accountant at the music store records records of the records.

source: http://www.i18nguy.com/english-is-tough.html

Share:

Comments

Now, I strongly believe that English is actually is one of the most easiest languages to learn. I like the play on words and all, but homonyms* probably exist in every language, f.e. in German:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homonym

For me personally German is not that easy to learn. The "German Articles" poster** always come to mind when I struggle with those Dativ/Akkusativ dilemma.

*no homo :)

** http://9gag.com/gag/3623111

For me is quite difficult to learn English but little by little, studying, practicing and listening everyday we will be able to reach a high level :)

I don't think the english is hard to learn. As many another languages, it has own rules and own difficulties but, if one want, he will be able to reach a good level.....but is important to be patients and constants in the studies

The only truly difficult thing about English (save for obscure grammatical rules like the subjunctive mood, which are hard in all languages) is its spelling scheme. Without a central language authority, English has slowly but consistently morphed in its pronunciation scheme without changing the spelling scheme that it's had for centuries. Thus, our words are entirely unintuitively spelled, with several different clumps of letters having entirely different pronunciations for no apparent reason (e.g. Plough, Through, Though, and Trough, pronounced respectively as plaʊ, θru, ðəʊ and trɒf).

Other than that, it's an easy language. Its grammar is very relaxed (I've heard English sentence construction described as "building a mountain"), it has no grammatical cases/genders/declension, no honorifics, very few difficult/unique sounds (although some may disagree with that depending on their language of origin), and a plethora of language resources/learning opportunities, due to its status as the world's de facto lingua franca.

In fewer words, it's hard to write English because our spelling's all messed up, but everything else is very easy. 

I like toungue twister.. It's helpful at the same time it's funny. English is a nice language because it has a good and concise rules. You only  need to Master the rules and know lots of words. The only thing which is hard for me is expressing myself in English because of course in each country we have different ways and we are using differents words and terms which some are not suitable just to translate it word for word in English.

Add a comment