Daniela
Professional Teacher
Trial session limit

Why is there a trial session limit? And where exactly is the limit? I'd understand it if italki intended to prevent the misuse of trial sessions by setting a limit of a certain number of trial sessions a student may book per month. Being a community tutur and a curious person I like to have a look at the student's history when someone reserves a lesson with me and so I know that there are indeed people who almost exclusively book trial sessions - probably because they're cheap. However, that's not my intention. I've been on italki for almost one year now and have had lessons with 16 teachers for 6 languages so far. That's pretty average, I think. And with the majority of my teachers I've had at least five sessions. I wouldn't mind to book a 30-minutes lesson at the regular price but a lot of teachers don't offer 30-minutes lessons, so I don't have that option. Or perhaps there's just something wrong with my account because some people seem to be able to book many more trial sessions while I've been shown the sentences "<em class="red12">You have reached the trial session limit. Please purchase regular sessions from this teacher"</em> for quite a while already whenever I try to book a trial session.<em class="red12">
</em>

Jun 7, 2013 11:14 PM
Comments · 13

I've noticed this too, I've taken 3 trial sessions and reached my limit.

I think you should be limited to 1 trial session per teacher. What if I want to try out a new teacher in a different language? I can't now.

June 8, 2013

I've just noticed this change too - submitted a support request and it looks like it's a new policy implemented, not sure since when but I'd guess fairly recently. It's pretty stupid and while I get the money-making business logic behind this, I think it's really unfair for those users who are genuinely wanting to try out different lessons with different teachers before commiting to regular lessons. 

I've been a member for a while and have definitely booked in more than 3 trial sessions in the past. I don't remember receiving any notification updates on this - nor is it written anywhere else other than the FAQ page, as far as I know?

I've always thought the system works really well, but these changes have not been communicated properly to the existing users, and this makes for a pretty poor user experience. Asking a new teacher for a one time discount is clearly a way to work around the system but it adds an additional layer of hassle for prospective students.

Every now and then I like to see if there's any new teachers that I could potentially book a trial lesson with, as the process have always been fairly easy in the past. When I find the ones that I'm happy with, I always follow up with regular lessons or packages. Restricting this option now will reduce the likelihood of this.

Maybe this system will work better for the business and newer students wouldn't have any problems with it if they learn about this up front. It's a different story with existing students like myself though.

It's not about wanting more 'free' or 'cheap' lessons, just voicing out my disappointment as an old time user who thought the system worked well. I'd rather pay more per regular lessons/package than have this trial restriction imposed on us. 

September 4, 2013

3 trial lessons per user has been in place since I joined last year. I agree that 1 lesson per teacher makes more sense. I think it's really unfortunate that more teachers don't offer ordinary 30 min lessons. I have actually requested some of my tutors to set this up, and they usually do it. I can't always spend a whole hour with a tutor.

January 29, 2015
I think there could/should be more trials allowed so we can search a bit more for a teacher that we 'gel' with - its not a judgement of the teachers we don't 'gel' with it, it can be a case of interests, personality, English/default language ability etc. I know they have an intro video but its only when actually talking to them that we really find out...
July 16, 2020

I started teaching on italki a few years ago, and yes back then the only limit on trial sessions was one per teacher. You're right in thinking that some members took advantage of this and skipped from teacher to teacher for discounted sessions. I had it happen to me too. Basically, this was unfair on the teachers as it meant that person wouldn't ever commit.

I think the 3-trial-session limit has been in place for a couple of years now. I haven't formed a like/dislike opinion on it yet, but I am very aware that I only have one trial session left.

If more teachers and tutors offered 30-minute sessions, would that be suitable? (I just checked - yes I do offer 30-minute sessions after all. Whew.) It wouldn't hurt to ask a prospective teacher to open up that option, I guess. Another option is the Instant Tutoring function, but that depends on which teachers are offering that at each particular moment. Again, some email communication would help, but as a teacher I'd only go out of my way for someone who has a visible student history.

January 29, 2015
Show more