Your family name .
People in different cultures have different kinds of names .And most people have family names or surnames ,which you share with your parents and children .
I find it is an interesting topic ,the origin ,the meaning ,the traditions,etc .
My family name is 張 ，always spelt as Zhang ,Chang or Cheung in English .
(You can find it there in Wikipedia :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhang_(surname))
It means widening bow.And I wonder the origin ,since I can just find tales and legends:
In short ,a son of an emperor invent a bow ,then he got it as his surname .There is the whole story in Wikipedia ,the same as I heard .
I used to believed it means ' a long bow ' as the character consists of ‘ long ’ and 'bow' in modern standard chinese. XD
Anyway ,origins of most Chinese family names are names of particular places.
What names do people have in your culture ?
What the story behind your family name ?
Do you interested in stories of family names ?
No comment given.
- What do you think about Ukrainian women and our culture?
- JAPANese and JAVAnese
- terrorism and ways to erradicate
- i want to ask this question to all my italkii fellows ........?????/
- Question for tutors with a range of prices
- start conversion
- Japanese in London
- desperate to write a letter&email
- word order
- VideoChat para Aprender Frances y Español