Site Feedback

Let‘s discuss about “CHEATING”!

I like to participate in English Speech Contests because I think it a good chance to practise both writing and speaking skills. And since I get to know many English-speakers here, I sometimes ask them to correct errors in my speech drafts. 

The problem is-----Is it a cheating??

I think in China, peeking, cheating sheet, plagiarizing a paper and knowing the questions before the exam are definitely cheatings, (However in my mind, as to writing a paper, if you paraphrase others' word then it's not plagiarism. And as to the homework, you are free to discuss it with others as long as you do not copy it :)

But I'm not sure what it's like when it comes to a speech contest.

Sooooo how do you define cheating (academically) in your culture? 

I'm keen to hear your opinion.

Emily

Share:

Comments

Nice topic!

First of all, it would better to say Let's disscuss cheating, without about

As for me, everything good in moderation. If sometimes you need a help and someone corrects your writting with fine comments, what not.

However, if you do it regularly , it's not good for your knowledge.

Thanks Keit!

Yes. I noticed that improper "about" as soon as I submitted the discussion but I was to lazy to delete it and start a new one haha. Thanks anyway:)

@CJ Hepp

Hello!

I've never heard rules of such contest either.

But I "wikied" it (I'm really interested in this topic haha) and the definition of it says "It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain unfair advantage in a competitive situation."

I'm just curious about the 'rules' :)

AND let's keep it to cheating not "plagiarism" pls.

The sentece I wrote "as to writing a paper, if you paraphrase others' word then it's not plagiarism." is very wrong on a second thought, for plagiarism is a far more complicated topic to discuss:)

Nothing wrong with asking someone to proof-read you work and suggest improvements or change.

Just so long as you don't find someone giving an identical speech as a result!!! 老鬼

Add a comment