Site Feedback

Spaces between words in Thai?

Thai is quite interesting to me actually. I don't know a lot about it, but it seems complicated to me. I understand the concepts of tone in Chinese but I don't understand it in Thai, since in Chinese each word looks different from eachother so there is no need for spaces; but in Thai it's an alphabet with tone and it makes it so confusing to me. I don't know when to use spaces in Thai. Could somebody help me understand this better? Thank you~ ^^

Share:

Comments

We use space at the end of every sentence.

you know? thai people also have problems with spaces. As my last job was to do the proofreading thing, i always found issues with using spaces by them.

thai  tone are function the same as  in chinese

imagine  pinyin with tone

because of the alphabets devided into 3 groups (high  middle low sound),  so it make some thai word special, even without the simple of tone still  read as in tone.

basicall  chinese n thai word,s tones are structured like this

consenant + vowel + tone

for space

there is no need spaces between words, because you,ll  e  c  ly

know the word by leaning it,  and will remember them

eventheywritelikethisinsrowwithoutspaceingit

( even they writ like thus in a row without spaceing it )

because most of thai word will structured by

consenant + vowel+ consenant(tone stay above of word) 

and we  will spaces  generally between the two sentences.

ps... we dont use  comma  footstop in article

I'm a native speaker. I want to describe something that i have learned when i was young.

Thai tone seem like Chinese but in fact Thai tone have more (and more)complicated.

In Chinese every alphabet have 4 tones,right?...but in Thai,we have 5 tones and you must devide alphabet into 3 gruops as shown below

1. high voice alphabet =  ข ฃ ฉ ฐ ถ ผ ฝ ส ษ ศ ห

this group have only 3 tones : aek tho jattawa

2. intermediate voice alphabet = ก จ ด ต บ ป อ ฎ ฏ

this group have all tones(5 tones) : saman aek tho tre jattawa

3. low voice alphabet  = ค ฅ ฆ ง ช ซ ฌ ญ ฑ ฒ ณ ท ธ น พ ฟ ภ ม ย ร ล ว ฬ ฮ

this group have only 3 tones : samam tho tre 

notice:

-low and high voice can match like this for varing in all the tones

high/ low
ข ฃ /ค ฅ ฆ        
ฉ /ช ฌ
ฐ ถ /ฑ ฒ ท ธ
ผ /พ ภ
ฝ /ฟ
ศ ษ ส/ ซ
ห /ฮ        

-some low voice are single voice alphabet = ง ญ น ย ณ ร ว ม ฬ ล

we use "ห"(hor) to harmonize with them for varing in all the tones

-moreover,high and low voice alphabet will have the different way to vary the tone in case of died words (More than half of words in Thai are alive words. Some are died words which i think i should not describe in here haha.)

-sorry, if all this make you more confuse. Only you try to talk Thai ,Thai people will understand for sure. No need to know all of those but if u want more detail, pls ask me again.

Add a comment