Spaces between words in Thai?
Thai is quite interesting to me actually. I don't know a lot about it, but it seems complicated to me. I understand the concepts of tone in Chinese but I don't understand it in Thai, since in Chinese each word looks different from eachother so there is no need for spaces; but in Thai it's an alphabet with tone and it makes it so confusing to me. I don't know when to use spaces in Thai. Could somebody help me understand this better? Thank you~ ^^
We use space at the end of every sentence.
you know? thai people also have problems with spaces. As my last job was to do the proofreading thing, i always found issues with using spaces by them.
I'm a native speaker. I want to describe something that i have learned when i was young.
Thai tone seem like Chinese but in fact Thai tone have more (and more)complicated.
In Chinese every alphabet have 4 tones,right?...but in Thai,we have 5 tones and you must devide alphabet into 3 gruops as shown below
1. high voice alphabet = ข ฃ ฉ ฐ ถ ผ ฝ ส ษ ศ ห
this group have only 3 tones : aek tho jattawa
2. intermediate voice alphabet = ก จ ด ต บ ป อ ฎ ฏ
this group have all tones(5 tones) : saman aek tho tre jattawa
3. low voice alphabet = ค ฅ ฆ ง ช ซ ฌ ญ ฑ ฒ ณ ท ธ น พ ฟ ภ ม ย ร ล ว ฬ ฮ
this group have only 3 tones : samam tho tre
-low and high voice can match like this for varing in all the tones
ข ฃ /ค ฅ ฆ
ฉ /ช ฌ
ฐ ถ /ฑ ฒ ท ธ
ผ /พ ภ
ศ ษ ส/ ซ
-some low voice are single voice alphabet = ง ญ น ย ณ ร ว ม ฬ ล
we use "ห"(hor) to harmonize with them for varing in all the tones
-moreover,high and low voice alphabet will have the different way to vary the tone in case of died words (More than half of words in Thai are alive words. Some are died words which i think i should not describe in here haha.)
-sorry, if all this make you more confuse. Only you try to talk Thai ,Thai people will understand for sure. No need to know all of those but if u want more detail, pls ask me again.
- what do you think about musicotherapy?
- Book recommendation.
- what do you think about translation of movie's name (Taiwan / America/ China) sharing you opinion:)
- The reason people decide to learn a foreign language.
- Is is winter where you live yet?
- Feeling conflicted: What can I do as a language learner?
- Should teachers be able to change their italki names?
- What are Low and High Pitches in Japanese?
- What are some good textbooks?
- What are some good textbooks out there?