Site Feedback

Another 3 idioms for English students.

Another day and 3 more idioms - Do you know the correct meanings of them? Post your answers in the comments along with your sentences, I'm always happy to read and advise you.

Don’t cry over spilt milk

Don’t cry over spilt milk is used when…..

We have had an accident.

We have dropped something.

We get upset about past events.

Hit the sack

Hit the sack is used when we are…..

Angry and want to argue and fight.

Tired and going to bed.

Frustrated about something.

Cut the chase

Cut the chase is used when….

We are tired and want to take a break.

We come straight to the point of an explanation.

We take the quick way home.

Share:

Comments

1) Don’t cry over spilt milk is used when…

We get upset about past events.

2) Hit the sack is used when we are…..

Tired and going to bed.

3) Cut the chase

We come straight to the point of an explanation.

Well done, all 3 are correct, can you use them in sentences?

i'd like to do it again,coz i found many helps from doing it.

1:"hi,mum,i screwed up today's job interview,i'm feeling so frustrated"."Dont cry over spilt milk son,everything gonna be ok,and you still have another opportunities"

2:we spent whole day hiking today,i just can't wait to hit the sack when i returned home.

3:"could you stop taking craps,we're wasting time on it! let's cut the chase" jack said impatiently.

thanks

1:"Hi mum, i I screwed (messed) up today's job interview, i' Im feeling so frustrated". "Dont cry over spilt milk son, everything's gonna (going to) be ok, and you still have other opportunities"

2:We spent the whole day hiking today, I just can't wait to hit the sack when i  I returned (get) home.

3:"Could you stop talking (rubbish) craps, we're wasting time on it! let's cut the chase" jack said impatiently.

I've made a few corrections for you. I've put some words into brackets to give you alternative words to use because some of the words are very informal, also when using the pronoun "I" always use a capital letter.

Well done and I particularly liked 3, it made me giggle :))

Yesterday I felt sick at the end of the day and I made up my mind to cut the chase, despite the upcoming exam. Today I have had to sorry about my decision, because I have failed exam. Howeve, it isn't worth to cry over the split milk. I'd better hit the sack.

Very good try! Here's how I would say it..

Today I was sorry about my decision because I failed my exam, however, it isn't worth crying over spilt milk, what's done is done, I'm exhausted now so I'm going to hit the sack. Tomorrow's another day!

Cut the chase Is a phrase that we would use if someone was taking a long time explaining something or telling a story, it's a way of telling someone to get to the point, to leave the uninteresting detail out.

Hope that helps! Best wishes:)

Thanks Clair.

I caught my son of stealing candies. He was trying to justify, but I offered him to cut the chase and apologize.

Thanks a lot again!much helpful:)

Thank you,it´s very useful.

I caught my son of stealing candies. He was trying to justify it by telling a long story, but in the end I lost patience and told I offered him to cut the chase, to tell the truth and apologize.

Add a comment