For those who are learning Portuguese: Idioms
01. Abrir mão de = Desistir de algo.
Literal translation: To open the hand
Real meaning: To give up (something or doing something)
02. Tirar o cavalinho da chuva = esquecer, não esperar por algo que não irá acontecer
Literal translation: Take the pony away from the rain
Real meaning: Forget it / don't wait for it
03. Bicho de sete cabeças = coisa muito complicada
Literal translation: Seven-headed beast
Real meaning: Huge complication
04. Dar uma colher de chá = conceder uma facilidade, chance
Literal translation: To give a teaspoon
Real meaning: To facilitate (something or doing something)
05. Não é flor que se cheire = má pessoa, desonesta, mau exemplo
Literal translation: A flower that you cannot smell.
Real meaning: bad person, unreliable
No comment given.
- Are you a Real Estate agent? Do you need to sell in English? New course on italki!
- A Great Book for intermediate English learners
- What is your favorite Quote?
- The European Union and Greek Default
- Are Alice Munro's books hard to follow for English learners?
- Do you think about prison for minors ( kids , teens) and how this affair in your country ?
- Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives
- white rabbit 白
- Movies and serials to watch
- The difference between Entrepreneur and Startup