Site Feedback

Everyday idioms for English students

Hello, here we are again, the beginning of a new week and 3 new idioms to learn. Find the correct meanings and then post your sentences using the idioms under comments. I'll post my sentences tomorrow. I look forward to reading your work, happy learning :)

Clair

A Doubting Thomas

A doubting Thomas is…….

Someone who doesn’t believe Thomas
Someone who needs proof or evidence before believing something.

Someone who believes everything he/she is told.

Drive someone up the wall

To drive someone up the wall is ……
To get on someone’s nerves, to annoy and irritate them a lot.

To help someone get over the wall.

to drive someone home.

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

To Let Sleeping Dogs Lie is….

To let your dog sleep on the floor near you.

To sleep near your dog.
To leave past arguments in the past.

Share:

Comments

1:Someone who needs proof or evidence before believing something.

No matter how i explained our relationship to him,he just didn't believe it until she told him personally and brought up her boyfriend one day in front of us,he's really a doubting thomas!

2:To get on someone’s nerves, to annoy and irritate them a lot.

"Look! he is frowning at you,probabaly you really drive him up the wall"i said 

3:To leave past arguments in the past.

"Hi man i just can't put up with my roomate's behavious again,we even don't talk to each other after a bitter argument" jack said."you guys should rub along anyway,just let sleeping dogs lie and step back first"i said

i don't why the last idiom means "To leave past arguments in the past."could you expalin to me why?and also the second one.

thanks!

a doubting thomas

someone  who needs proof or evidence before believing  something

I wanna know which one a doubting thomas will believe in ,first, the chicken or egg?

drive someone up the wall
to get on someone's nerves, to annoy and irritate them a lot 

Cutting class to see justin bieber's concert is not a smart decision, it will drive your mother up the wall.

let sleeping dogs lie
To leave past arguments in the past.

Would u just let sleeping dogs lie. You have known it clearly he is a irritable people.How dare u to yell at him front all the people~!

I agree with above comments. Doubting Thomas is from bible. When Jesus resurected from dead almost all his distiples except for Thomas believed in the miracle. Only he said "I'ii trust when I see him".

Since that time, when someone doubts constantly, he is called doubting Thomas.

This terrible scorcher which we have experienced last days drives me up the wall.

Let's forget that old days. Let sleeping dog lie.

Hi Mahon,

A valid question, let me explain - sometimes people argue and after a short period of time the arguement goes away and is forgotten, sometimes the arguement doesn't get forgotten so easily and sometimes it is brought up over and over again which is never a good thing and so in this example the idiom "let sleeping dogs lie" fits.....for example:

I know a couple of people who used to be very good friends, then one day they had an enormous arguement over something quite silly, now everytime they see each other they end up argueing over the same silly things, if they could just let sleeping dogs lie I'm sure that they could get back some of the friendship they had shared before.

This phrase can be used for any negativity that keeps coming back from a past action, worries, problems, fights etc...It's when we want to advise someone or tell ourselves to leave things in the past and move on. Hope this makes it clearer for you.

The second one is used when someone is doing something that we don't like in a way that it irritates and annoys us, it gets on our nerves, it makes us feel unsettled, for example: My younger son is full of energy, he doesn't stay still for a moment not even at meal times, sometimes I find it quite amusing but other times he drives me up the wall. (You can also say drives me round the bend or a simpler version is, he drives me mad or insane).

It means I can't always cope with this extreme amount of energy because sometimes I want peace and quiet and when he's like this, well, I just don't get it and so I become irritated and annoyed.

Wow!!! Another very very useful post!

Thanks!

No matter how i I explained our their relationship to him, he just didn't believe it until, one day, Jane told him personally and brought up her boyfriend one day in front of to see us, he's really is a doubting thomas!

"Look"! I said, "he is frowning at you, I think that you're probably you really driving him up the wall with your behaviour"i said

"Hi man" i said Jack "I just can't put up with my roommate's behaviours again anymore, we don't even talk to each other after a bitter argument". "You guys should try to get on together", I said, "just let sleeping dogs lie and forget your grievances.

Thank you so very much, I'm happy that you find them useful :)

I wanna know which one is a doubting Thomas, which one will you believe in first, the chicken or egg?

Cutting class to see Justin Bieber's concert is not a smart decision, if your mother found out, it will would drive your motherher up the wall. (use second conditional for an imaginary situation)

Would u just let sleeping dogs lie. You have known it clearly he is a irritable people.How dare u to yell at him front all the people~!

Why don't you just let sleeping dogs lie, you know very well that he's an irritable person, don't you dare yell at him in front of all those people, you just make yourself look bad.

Thank you ale and well done!

This terrible scorcher which we have experienced have been experiencing over the last few days is driving me up the wall. (use present perfect continuous for something that started before now and is still current at the time of speaking)

Let's forget the old days. We should let sleeping dogs lie and start anew.

Hi Keti, thank you for your sentences and especially for the information about doubting Thomas, it's alway nice to learn where these old sayings have originated from.

Best wishes :)

I have written a paragraph using all 3 idioms, I hope it gives you some ideas of how they work together.

It is not unusual to hear a dialogue like this, these are everyday idioms that are used in general conversation.

Why can't he just believe me when I tell him something, why do I always have to prove everything to him, honestly, he's such a doubting Thomas it drives me completely up the wall. I think it's all because of some past experiences that he had when he was younger, they have left him without any trust in other people, I understand, really I do but at the same time I think that he should let sleeping dogs lie and just get over it otherwise he's going to ruin his life.:D

Add a comment