Site Feedback

How can learners English learn spelling of word?!

Hi 

I need to know how to spell 

Because It is my bigesst problem in E

Share:

Comments

"How can English learners learn word spellings?

Hi.

I need to know how to spell, because it is my biggest problem in English-learning."

The answer is that you're sorta out of luck. English spelling is woefully unstandardized, running off of a phonetic pronunciation of words from half a millenium ago. Our language is a weird combination of German and French, with all the artifacts one would expect from both.

Essentially, when learning an English word, you must simultaneously memorize how to spell and speak it. It's by far the most difficult aspect of English mastery, and there's a reason why Spelling Bees are so much more widespread in English-speaking countries than they are in most other places; it's actually a mark of honor to be a native speaker who knows how to flawlessly spell large English words.

Fortunately, English has no cases or declensions, nor does it have a stringent syntax or tense modifications, so once you DO remember how to spell a word, it's incredibly easy to use that word correctly. Just work on spelling with flashcards or something. 

I think it's better to know the sounds of a word than it's spelling. But when it comes to spelling, it depends on the word. For example, a word like "hate" is quite easy to spell, as it matches up with the English phonetic rules; however, a word like "gnome" or "patient" or "floccinaucinihilipilification" (actually an English word, not one you need to know) do not follow the rules. Words like "gnome" bring in the deadly concept of silent letters, "patient" does not look like it should be pronounced the way it is, and "floccinaucinihilipilification" is stupidly long and hard to remember.

The good part of learning to spell in English is that you're not really expected to be really good, as many natives have trouble spelling too. Half the people in my class can't spell a word like "inch." The problem with English spelling is that even natives would say it's a mess. Homophones are also another thing (words that sound the same, for example: "bear/bare" and "pear/pair")

So yeah, like Grant said, the best way is to learn it's spelling when you learn the word. And even I, a 19 year old who has only really used English in his life, make hundereds of mistakes in spelling.

Good luck :)

thank u a lot Grant and Richard

Add a comment