Amica
Stuttering--how commmon is this?

Hi everyone!

I am very fluent in English, but I find it difficult not to stutter when I speak it! It is so embarrasing and anxiety provoking that I often wonder if I can even speak English. Does it happen to others? Despite living in the U.S. for over 10 years, I still have some accent and, at times, mispronounciation issues. How does one overcome those?

Jul 12, 2013 12:03 PM
Comments · 3

Thank you, everyone! All of you have been very helpful. I will try and remember all that you said, so that I try and get better. The stuttering is very prominent when I am anxious or just meeting new people. Does not help in the job interviews at all. 

July 22, 2013

Here are some tips that can help you on your own practice and cure for stuttering:

Take a deep breath. This will help you relax and clear your mind before speaking.

Always think before speaking. This causes you to think the words in your mind faster than you can say them out loud.

Also, research shows that people tend not to stutter much when they are singing, so form that rhythm with your voice.

Chew some gum. Having something in your mouth has helped stuttering because it widens and relaxes the mouth. Speaking will be more relaxed.

Find your comfort zone either by speaking loudly or whispering.

When you speak loudly, a stutter usually disappears and when you whisper, a stutter is less noticeable.

July 21, 2013

It's just nerves and self doubt.

Many people suffer from those things, a lot of the people that I've spoken to are much better than they think they are, but they become obsessed with perfection.

NO ONE SPEAKS PERFECT ENGLISH!!!!!

:D

Not me, not my family, my friends....................no one.

So, use what you've got, and please stop worrying about it. 

July 15, 2013