Stuttering--how commmon is this?
I am very fluent in English, but I find it difficult not to stutter when I speak it! It is so embarrasing and anxiety provoking that I often wonder if I can even speak English. Does it happen to others? Despite living in the U.S. for over 10 years, I still have some accent and, at times, mispronounciation issues. How does one overcome those?
It's just nerves and self doubt.
Many people suffer from those things, a lot of the people that I've spoken to are much better than they think they are, but they become obsessed with perfection.
NO ONE SPEAKS PERFECT ENGLISH!!!!!
Not me, not my family, my friends....................no one.
So, use what you've got, and please stop worrying about it.
Here are some tips that can help you on your own practice and cure for stuttering:
Take a deep breath. This will help you relax and clear your mind before speaking.
Always think before speaking. This causes you to think the words in your mind faster than you can say them out loud.
Also, research shows that people tend not to stutter much when they are singing, so form that rhythm with your voice.
Chew some gum. Having something in your mouth has helped stuttering because it widens and relaxes the mouth. Speaking will be more relaxed.
Find your comfort zone either by speaking loudly or whispering.
When you speak loudly, a stutter usually disappears and when you whisper, a stutter is less noticeable.
Thank you, everyone! All of you have been very helpful. I will try and remember all that you said, so that I try and get better. The stuttering is very prominent when I am anxious or just meeting new people. Does not help in the job interviews at all.
- Learn French / Apprendre Français / Imparare Francese
- English/French conversation
- French whatsapp group
- Characteristics of a good English teacher?
- русский язык
- Est que Google translater est un bon outil pour rechercher le sens des mots et phrases etrangérs?
- Is Google translater a good tool for searching the meaning of foreign words or sentences?
- Learning two languages at once
- اريد ان اتعلم اللغه الانجليزيه هل يستطيع احد ان يعلمني
- Teaching a Foreign Language, Studying a Foreign Language