Site Feedback

In your opinion what is the most effective way to learn a new laguange?

Share:

Comments

Practicing with a native and get inmerse into the language

I think that first of all of you have to know what motivates you. I need specific goals (current goal: be able to have a 30-minute conversation in my target language without resorting to any English).

Once you have a goal, you have to figure out how much time you have to devote to your language, and set yourself a schedule. I'm dedicating between 1.5 and 2 hours every day, because I want to be conversational by Spring 2014.

I do best if I split my time between reading, listening and speaking. I try to do a Skype language exchange at least 3 times a week, and I also have a weekly online tutor that I just started meeting with. I also read daily (right now: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in Spanish for about 15 mins every evening) and try to watch a video or listen to a podcast several times a week. In addition to that, I practice vocab (chosen from conversations, podcasts, reading, etc) every day using ankisrs.net - the BEST online flashcards, IMO.

Listen at all times! Make listenings, listenings and again, listenings!

Secondly, go to a foreigner country, visit a village. Try to speak their language. Try to find the words. Try to think what do you mean and try to find what it means in that language. Be patient and push your brain simultaniously!

don't quit

I think that it is not only one. I think that every person is different and some things fits better with ones in particular and other things with other ones. I personally think that the best way is to learn the way we learn our mother tongue. But it is very difficult to emulate an environment similar that the one when we grew up. So if you can live for a while in a place where people speak all the time your target language. Try to make as many interactions with native speakers as you can. If you can try to live with people who speak that language. Immersion is very important. As adult our ears aren´t as good as they were when we were a child, Also our identity and greed as being a citizen of a certain country or speak certain language hinder our possibility of sounding like a native speaker or almost native speaker and maybe we will have pronunciation mistakes. Therefore is important to know the differences between the phonemes in your native language and your target language. Then practice your pronunciation at the same time you are learning some useful phrases. I think that writing is something very difficult and it takes a lot of time to master it. So I think that is better to start with listening and speaking very hard and intensive and a little bit of reading and writing, and when you are already fluent continuing studying grammar in order to polish your mistakes.

Practice . practice . practice ...

Miss. Rosa, I really appreciate your question. 

SOME TIPS FOR LEARNING A NEW LANGUAGE.
While learning a new language, the best thing is to accomodite & live
with the language surroundings.
Start thinking in that language.
Start describing thing around you, in that language.
Mailing notes in that language.
Writing letters to Pen-friends and exchange friends.
Exchanging views, in that language on Skype, telephone or other medium.
Listening News & commentry on T.V. in that language.
Watching T.V. drama or docomentary films in that language
Reading simple & short story books of that language.
The best way to learn a language, is by taking regular classes and
communicating with native speakers.

for me, you need motivation, no motivation you don't learn it. you also need a partner who speaks that languague and practice (listening, speaking, writing)

You need to have an emotional connection with the language. It needs to become part of your lifestyle have some sort of daily use. Here are some tasks I do with my languages:

1) Listen to music while following along with the lyrics at the same time.

2) Visit websites, forums, and blogs

3) Read and listen to audiobooks.

4) Read books, e-books, comics, magazines and newspapers.

5) Write blog entries.

6) Speak with people on Skype or in person (usually while travelling).

7) Comment on blogs, forums, YouTube videos, etc.

To provide an exchange student know each other!

Add a comment