For those who are learning portuguese: Idioms 2
More idioms for those who are learning portuguese. I hope this helps.
1. Acertar na mosca – to hit the nail on the head.
Ex: Você achou a falha, Beth. Você acertou na mosca!
(You've spotted the flaw, Beth. You’ve hit the nail on the head!).
2. Não pregar o olho - not to sleep a wink
Ex: A música estava tão alta na casa do vizinho que eu não consegui pregar o olho a noite toda.
(The music was so loud at the neighbor’s that I couldn’t sleep a wink).
3. Agarrar com unhas e dentes – to take full advantage of an opportunity, not let it slip away.
Ex: Ele agarrou seu novo emprego com unhas e dentes e está fazendo de tudo para mantê-lo. (He’s fiercely held on to his new job and is doing everything to keep it).
4. Amigo da onça – false, fake, phony friend.
Ex: O mundo está cheio de amigos da onça. (The world is full of phony friends).
- Roses are red, Violets are blue
- Help me :)
- Maroc en Septembre!
- Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan
- Is there an advanced English learner free in to practice English now?
- How to measure the progress foreign language learning?
- Need people to practise english
- What is your favorite expression in your native language?
- Il verbo accingersi e molto usato o no?
- Will you shed tears when listening to music?