Site Feedback

Polyglots?

Are there any polyglots here? How many languages do you speak? Have you ever tried to study two languages at the same time? If so, what was your strategy in doing so? Thank you for helping me find a good study plan.

Share:

Comments

I wouldn't call myself a polyglot yet, but this year I started and am continuing to learn 5 at the same time. I didn't sit down and plan a strategy, so this may or may not be helpful to you, but one big reason I didn't practice or try to improve my French even though I studied it for 6 years in school was because I couldn't sit down and study (and I didn't have the confidence, but that's another story).  By allowing myself to indulge in other languages, I feel more free and more motivated to learn each one. This isn't necessarily the best strategy, and certainly not the fastest, but it keeps me at it: from week to week, sometimes day to day, I change what language I work on. Sometimes I feel like doing languages and I sit down with French and Japanese books, and sometimes it's Italian, whatever I feel like. I can innundate myself in French, get tired of it, but get reenergized by doing another language. That's what works for me so far.

I have heard that if you only study one language at a time, then you can learn at a faster pace but like yourself, Regan, I tend to get bored studying the same language day after day. It has also been said that if one chooses to study more than one language at a time, then those languages should not be in the same language family. I am studying Hindi and Russian together. They are not related but the other day, I was practing my Hindi with a local person from India and accidentally popped out with a couple of Russian words! That is not as extreme though as when I was studying Spanish and Portuguese together. Doing those two languages at the same time was virtually impossible because of the similarities in phrases and vocabulary. So, I had to put Portuguese aside for that very reason. Thanks for sharing. It seems that you have a strong fascination with languages like myself. The other day, I listened to a little Swahili and was tempted to pick it up for study but I had to hold back due to complicating my study with yet a third language in the mix. Thanks for your feedback.

Yes! i know 5 languages but all are in Russian.

This joke's very popular in Russian (I know Rusian).

Unfortunately, Mark you are right. There is an old adage that goes like this. What do you call a person that speaks more than one language? Bilingual. What about a person that speaks more than two languages? Multilingual. What about the person who only speaks one language. An American. It is truly a shame that our public school systems do not teach more than one language but then we expect everyone else to immediately speak English when they come through our borders. I think that is quite ethnocentric of us to feel that way. In any case, I can see that learning languages might not be as big of a deal to you since you by culture are more accustomed to speaking more than one language. That is really awesome and I envy you for that. But there are those of us that do not have those advantages and so we have to learn the hard way. I also like your comparison to studying three sciences at the same time. That is helpful. I'm a musician so, would you also compare it to learning the guitar, piano, and violin at the same time?

Anyway, I'm still searching for a good solid study plan that will allow me to study more than one language without running into confusion.

Hello Esteban, I am not a polyglot but It is one of my dreams to become a polyglot. Right now I only speak spanish, and I am in my process of mastering english. I have seen many polyglots through some videos at youtube. for instance : Luca Lampariello, Beny lewis, Susana saraysky, Richard simcot, etc, there are many throughout the world and they have a lot of videos where they explain their methodology and their own path. Some of them disagree with the idea of learning more than one language at a time. look at youtube and you will see many videos and many helpful tips they give for learning languages.     

Even though I like reading blogs by polyglots (because, by definition, they love languages), I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the word "polyglot". Most true polyglots don't call themselves that - they just speak the languages they need when they need them. And how many languages do you need to speak to be a polyglot, anyway? Meh.

I'm fluent in French and English. I'm working hard on my Spanish and am hoping to be conversationally fluent by next March. After that? Who knows! Maybe Tagalog. I think that I'll continue the way that I'm learning now, studying a language in depth for a year or so, until I feel comfortable, and then picking up a new project.

Personally, I like being able to immerse myself in a language. My goal is to be able to think in Spanish. If I changed languages every day, then I'm not sure I'd be able to get there. Every person is different, though - you have to figure out what your goals are (do you just want to dabble in languages, or do you want to become fluent?) and what works for you.

Good luck!

Add a comment