Site Feedback

Do you think understanding non-verbal communication is important?

...are non-verbal cues (part of non-verbal communication) and sign language the same?

thanks

Share:

Comments

Sign language is only one type of non-verbal communication. It also includes things like body language and facial expression, so certainly it is important to understand because a lot of people don't express themselves verbally and instead articulate their thoughts by how they act, and these aren't always the same things. If you want to improve relationships with people, having a better understanding of non-verbal communication can make situations where not everything is said much easier. 

Thanks for your feedback. So you think that sign language is only one type of non-verbal communication, but how about the deaf and mute who use sign language as their primary tool to communicate? In this case, sign language take the position of verbal communication. As we know that an effective communcation is combination of verbal and non-verbal actions.

Sign language is a special category. Verbal communication is usually definined in terms of spoken language, which contains non-verbal cues. Sign language differs from non-verbal communication because it has its own grammar and vocabulary. 

I think for this purpose it's better to define verbal communication as communication that uses words, whether spoken or signed. Both spoken and signed languages can be modified by non-verbal cues, but sign language also uses facial expression to impart linguistic information. For eample, pointing would be considered a non-verbal cue in a spoken language, but in a signed language can be the way you indicate pronouns and therefore verbal.

@susan612: Thank you very much! ^

yeah, i think its important for normal people and as well as those who have disabilities like the deaf and mute but ofcourse their sign language is different its more formalized that just some gestures and facial expressions normal people do. 

Verbal Language has its limitations there are certain things that can't be put into words. There are things, emotions, feelings, sentiments and what not that can't be transcribed into words. Sometimes, these things are better expressed through non-verbal communication.

But in order to understand what a certain person is trying to convey through non-verbal communication, I think, an intimate relationship between the Encoder and the Decoder  is required. though some non-verbal communications can be easily understood, there are still moments that non verbal communications are misunderstood due to improper intuition and analysis..

If I understand you right, I think YES, the body language (70%) tells more than what coming out of the mouth (30%). So when judging a person, do it according to his actions but not his words and you will be next to a more precise conclusion. The human language itself is defective anyway.

@hero-kim: you said that we have to have an intimate relationship first to understand the real meaning of the message. I couldn't agree more with you. That's the most important thing before we translate the meaning of message we received. Anyway, how if the two people don't know each other? Do you know how to understand the meaning of 'non-verbal cues' of a stranger? thanks

What Im trying to say is that in order for a Decoder to decode the meaning behind a certain non verbal clue requires familiarity of the person [encoder]. For there are certain things or non verbal clues to be exact that are widely used by us but have different meanings according to our own perceptions and mental contexts and principles on how we use them and relate them in revealing certain realities.

Example:

John is kind, polite, loyal and trustworthy. When he gets mad he doesnt usually do the traditional non verbal clue that will imply that he is mad and that is "He won't be talking." But rather he plays piano to express his disappointments or frustations. If you're really a friend of John, whenever he plays piano you can simply intuit that he is mad or whatsoever. But if you aren't a friend of him, you'll simply say that Playing Piano might be his passion or hobby.

Add a comment